Tax Code "BR" - To Be Changed - Tax Refund

Options
I am now working for Currys, I used to work at a coffee store (no names). I left the coffee store and never recieved a P45.

I am now at Currys and have been since August, but I am on tax code "BR" and am being taxed, its quite a bit out of my monthly wage as I am a student and all the pennys count.

Anyway, I have rung the tax office and she said she has changed it etc..
So, I shouldnt have to pay no more tax.
I have paid about £200 in tax in the past few months, does this mean I will get this back on one of my next wages?

This happened when I left a job in the past and then started a new one, once I had the tax code changed, I got the tax back.

Comments

• chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am now working for Currys, I used to work at a coffee store (no names). I left the coffee store and never recieved a P45.

I am now at Currys and have been since August, but I am on tax code "BR" and am being taxed, its quite a bit out of my monthly wage as I am a student and all the pennys count.

Anyway, I have rung the tax office and she said she has changed it etc..
    So, I shouldnt have to pay no more tax.
    I have paid about £200 in tax in the past few months, does this mean I will get this back on one of my next wages?

This happened when I left a job in the past and then started a new one, once I had the tax code changed, I got the tax back.

When your employer receives the new code it will be applied to your pay. Your tax will be recalculated and any difference between what your tax should be and what has been taken will be paid to you in that month's wage. No one can tell you what that figure will be without knowing your new tax code and full details of earnings (including taxable benefits if you had any), and tax paid.

For future reference if you do not have a P45 ask for a P46 so that you can be put onto an emergency tax code, which in most cases results in round about the correct tax being paid. Employers should automatically offer a P46 but some do not.
  • StudentOfBusiness
    Options
    Thanks for that detailed and simple reply!
    Well I have paid quite a bit of tax since I have been there.

I changed it last night, and I get paid Thursday, would that be to quick for any changes to happen?
  • chrisbur
    Options
    Thanks for that detailed and simple reply!
    Well I have paid quite a bit of tax since I have been there.

I changed it last night, and I get paid Thursday, would that be to quick for any changes to happen?

What did you change, and with whom?
  • StudentOfBusiness
    Options
    I rung up the tax office, the girl on the phone asked my employers tax reference, my employee number and how much I earn and if its my only job etc..

She said after I did that it would now be sorted and they could change the code.
  • chrisbur
    Options
    Code changes are usually sent by post so I think it unlikely that the change will happen this week. No idea how quick the tax offices are these days so can't really say how long it will be.
  • StudentOfBusiness
    Options
    Thanks for the help, well, I get paid again in another 4 weeks, so could be then, would be cool if I got any overpaid tax back onto that!
  • suso
    suso Posts: 548 Forumite
    edited 11 November 2009 at 8:21AM
    Options
    depending on the code issued you might not be getting the tax back straight away

If the tax office don't have the p45 from your previous employment, they will be issuing the code on a Month 1 basis,

This means that you will be taxed correctly from this point forward, but it won't backdate any calculations of tax overpaid when you were on BR. You would need to wait until the end of the tax year when the P14 details are submitted by the previous employer

If they have the previous pay and tax details then they will issue a cumulative code which means you will get the overpayment of tax back in your wages
    He's not an accountant - he's a charlatan
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The other issue is how long it takes your employer to action the tax code once he receives it. Some have a cut off date for payroll well in advance of payday so if you are unlucky it could be a month later than you are hoping
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure