PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheese dips

Options
Apologies if this has already been posted or if on the wrong board. My youngest daughter if shopping with me always asks for a dairylea dipper as a treat. However these are not cheap for a small amount of dairylea and bread sticks. I therefore bought two tubs of Dairylea (two weeks ago bogof) and a packet of Tesco's mini bread sticks. Result I could scoop some dairylea into a very small tupperware and give her some breadsticks. This worked out far far cheaper than buying the "dunkers".
No Matter what you do there will be critics.

Comments

• Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    We do the same with Philidelphia cheese which is often on BOGOF. Would your daughter eat that?

It's better for children as it's basically just cheese, rather than Dairylea with is about 20% cheese bulked up with chemicals and other ingredients. I hate Dairylea!
    Here I go again on my own....
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    If you make your own yoghurt you can strain that through muslin and get a sweeter version of 'philadelphia' plus its very cheap! Also try the philadelphia on digestive biscuits - its very nice!
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    To make cheese go even further mash the dairylea up with some plain yoghourt or fromage frais. Easier to dunk breadsticks or bits of veggies into.

Philly cheese is very good if your child will eat it, but buy shop's own version which will be cheaper.

I make a dip with grated cheddar, chopped onion and greek yoghourt which my daughter used to love when she was little (omit the raw onion if they won't eat it).
  • spender
    spender Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All the above sound great, will give them a try, I was very interested to find out that Dairylea is in fact rubbishlea.

Thanks
    No Matter what you do there will be critics.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure