PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cake decorating ideas?

Options
It's my grandpa's 80th at the weekend and about 15 family members are meeting up to celebrate. Months ago I volunteered to make a cake, then promptly forgot about it and now need to work fast!!
My gpa's a big amateur radio fan so I want to make a cake of a house roof with a ridiculous amount of aerials on it.
So far the plan is to make a coffee sponge as he likes them and to decorate it with butter icing. Not v sophisticated I know but it's more our taste than rolled icing or royal icing.
I was thinking of making two tray bake-sized sponges, then cut a roof angle into the top one and stick them together with more icing (or something else if anyone has any ideas?! There will be two children there so nothing too alcoholic!)

I've got some cake wires from the local decorations shop to mould the aerials around and will put some black thread between them as wires.

What I'm now wondering is what other things to put on the house? You won't be able to see anything beyond the top half of the windows but maybe I could do a rose climbing up the walls? Has anyone got ideas on how to colour icing for the roof? Can you use red colouring in coffee icing to get a clay tile colour? How can I do tiles on the roof? What about a chimney?

Also, how can I protect it during a car journey down to Oxford from Cheshire?

Any brainstorming ideas would be v welcome!!! And if anyone's got a housewarming party coming up it might be a good cake to make!

Comments

• Rachel85
    Rachel85 Posts: 370 Forumite
    Options
    Mmm making me hungary..

For the roof I am sure you can add red (or perhaps brown) food colouring (or maybe chocolate) to the icing to make it go the colour you need. As for roof tiles, I would probably not do every tile, but just a few (so it kind of looks like an old cracked roof - does that make sense?!) You could either use writing icing, piped black icing or perhaps even liquorice (sp!) laces?

As for the roses up the sides you can get little roses for cake making from supermarkets, and you can also get green writing icing or green laces (not sure what flavout they're meant to be!) Perhaps add a little bird to the roof?!

I am sure if you google house birthday cake or go to your local library you'll be able to get some pictures that may give you inspiration
    There is no such thing as a free lunch. Its only free because you've paid for it.

Noone can have everything they want and the sooner you learn that the better.

MSE Aim: To have more "thanks" than "posts"! :T
  • Sallys_Savings
    Sallys_Savings Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    Options
    how about if you could get a photo of your grandfather so hes looking out of the window?

and a few pigeons on the aerails?
  • beccatt
    beccatt Posts: 98 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for those ideas! I love the idea of some birds on the roof!! And I really like the idea of having a picture of my grandpa looking out of the window - otherwise I thought I might buy a little toy man with moving legs and arms and have him climbing up a ladder to fix the aerial!
  • cboo
    cboo Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

perfhaps you could use chocolate fingers for the roof and use some liquorice to jazz up the ariel..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure