CSA anymore?

Options
Just heard on the news that they are thinking of scrapping the CSA nad are going to leave parents to sort their own payments out. Did I hear this right or have I mis- heard? There is no way that my ex will pay any money unless it goes through the CSA.

Comments

• chugalug
    chugalug Posts: 969 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't think they'd scrap it and leave parents with no way of securing maintenance. Before CSA we had the courts to award/enforce maintenance so I can't see them leaving us with nothing. Anyway, how would the Govt get absent parents to pay towards those on benefit? Maybe we'll have something worse than the CSA.............the mind boggles!
    ~A mind is a terrible thing to waste on housework~
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    chugalug wrote:
    I wouldn't think they'd scrap it and leave parents with no way of securing maintenance. Before CSA we had the courts to award/enforce maintenance so I can't see them leaving us with nothing. Anyway, how would the Govt get absent parents to pay towards those on benefit? Maybe we'll have something worse than the CSA.............the mind boggles!

Goodness is worse possible?? I would actually prefer a return to the courts - at least there is more chance of getting payment.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • singlehouseholder
    Options
    They aren't scrapping in-I wouldn't have thought so, they're taking on a hell of a lot off staff, there's just been a huge recruitment drive to get more staff to try and sort out the mess. The govt has chucked lots of money at the dept to try and rectify the mass uck-ups that have happened over the last few years. I'd say that the plan is to probably re-brand the CSA, and "hopefully" train all the staff properly to do the job, even though the expensive fancy shmancy computer system was rubbish!! Think things have changed somewhat- there's a voluntary scheme for payments now? Might mean they can leave the amicable payee's to get on with it and get on with the real business at hand and get the non paying non resident parents to rightfully contribute to the financial upbringing of their offspring.
    Whatever it is they're doing- its got to be an improvement?...
    RIP Floyd - 19/04/09. I know i'll see you again my best friend forever.

19/06/2013 T12 incomplete Paraplegia, down but not out.
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
  • singlehouseholder
    Options
    "Half of all mothers who apply to the CSA have no contact with the father of their children. In one in five cases, the mother and father have never lived together, and in 15 per cent of cases, the father is also being chased by other mothers through the agency. "
    It is appaling that so many blokes are allowed to get away without coughing up a penny, especialy the repeat offenders!! Don't know why non resident parents feel they should NOT have to provide for their kids, some even going to crazy lengths just to get out of it. Read somewhere about a s/e builder who claimed he lived off something like £50 a week, but after investigation- instigated by mum, it was found that he owned property overseas as well as rental properties in uk, top and bottom of it was he could well afford a few week for the fruit of his loins but thought he shouldn't!! Fleece them, bout time!!

• mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yes but i heard that a majority of father who dont pay dont pay for the simple reason that the mother of the child refuses the father contact. Mothers can get away with any stupid excuses to stop a child from seeing there father even with legal proceedings a mother can make up as much rubbish as she wishes to deny a child parental contact. If UK courts were to give more equal rights to fathers then i am sure the csa would not have as many problems as its having now.

(BTW i have been down that route too)
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    But surely they are talking about new cases and all old cases would stay the same.

Mind you that could be why it has taken weeks for new figures for my husband. Because of a change of cirucumstances. Normally only take a couple of weeks. But this has been going on for about 6 weeks so far.

Maintance is not based on access. Unless there are some damn good reasons a father should never be denied access to his children. There are man out there who pine for their children and never get to see them. Because the PWC who is normally the mother thinks that she has right to deny access. Normally because she hates her ex's guts and because she has been landed with the children.

But I shall watch this space.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • singlehouseholder
    Options
    If the mother denies the father access doesn't sound like a valid enough reason to withold payment to me???
    If the father cares so much about the child wouldn't he WANT to help contribute to its upbringing. If I was the child denied, I'd want to find my father as soon as I was old enough to comprehend the fact that it was mother's spite that had stopped me seeing him, then, if he told me, I didnt give mam any money at all, because I couldn't see you, well, think i'd probably say see ya! Its too complicated of an area to put in black & white, but there has to be something in place, you helped make it- you can damn well help pay for it. Fresh air doesn't buy the bairn new shoes!!!

• cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 563 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try getting CSA payment off the mother! Its about the funniest thing I have seen in my life! Even someone at the CSA said 'yeah right, good luck with that'. Hopeless. Yet when it was the other way round even though we had her kids most of the time and buy all their clothes etc... we had to cough up almost half our income. We nearly lost our home and nearly ended up in court because of it. The CSA would work a lot better if some of these parents would grow up and act like adults.
  • missk_ensington
    missk_ensington Posts: 1,590 Forumite
    Options
    Singlehouseholder- for 18 years my Dad paid nothing, he was a pub Landlord and claimed the pub was so poor his own wage equated for about £1.50 an hour. He claimed £1500 a month for 'entertainment costs' and £2,000 for wages (only when I went to visit him at 13 for a week it became apparant that he and his partner did all the work, and employed one girl on a Friday, and the place was heaving) Now I'm over 18 and so is my brother, it is revelaed that he has £200,000 in the bank in cash, thousands in stocks and shares and a £200,000 house with no mortgage. (My brother only turned 18 last October and it was only this time last year he was claiming to be on his !!!!!! with nothing!)

I hate men! lol My sons Dad pays through CSA but he earns a further £200 a week DJing on a fri and saturday night for cash, which is another £30 a week I ought to get.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure