HELP!! Advice needed.

Options
Can anyone out there give me advice please.
I will be 60 in October and the DWP have given me a forcast of my state pension. But my private pension fund say that I am retiring early and they will deduct 34% from my lump sum and 11% from my monthly pension.
I understood that the retirement age for women born before 1950 was still 60.
How can one government department tell me I am allowed to retire at 60 and then another tells me I am retiring early?
Incedently my pension is with the local government.
Any help would be appreciated.:angry:

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You have 2 different things here. One is the state pension. They other is your occupational pension. The dates dont have to match. If the scheme age is 65, then they are within their rights to penalise you if you request early retirement.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Of course, you don't HAVE to retire at 60 even though you *can* take state retirement pension at age 60. You could carry on, either take SRP or defer it (in which case you get a better deal AFAIK). Your employer is not *forcing* you to retire at 60, it's your choice if you want to do so.

IMHO a woman retiring at 60 has decades more to live. The Queen now sends out thousands of centenary cards whereas at the start of her reign it was a few hundred. You need to do some planning at this stage of your life - what kind of lifestyle do you want for your retirement years, do you want to be limited in income for those decades, do you plan to do any other work to boost your income, have you got any other savings/pension plans?

A lotta thinking and decision-making to do.

Best wishes

Margaret Clare
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    You can "retire" ie take a pension from a private scheme at any age from 50 onwards at present.This will go up to 55 in 2010.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I almost typed that Ed, but 'lil went on to say the pension was with the local Govt.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you pension is "with the local government" ie you are a member of the local government pension scheme (rules here: http://www.lgps.org.uk/) then, unless you age plus years of service = 85+, then the earliest you can retire without reduction in benefits is 65.

Andy
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    dunstonh wrote:
    I almost typed that Ed, but 'lil went on to say the pension was with the local Govt.

Yes I realise it didn't apply, just thought I'd mention it for others.I decided against mentioning that you can now retire at 50 without taking a pension at all - just 25% of your fund in cash, but since we are still here,might as well.......;)
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport