Junk mail, POS killing the enviroment

Options
I deliver daily around 2 sack fulls of pure junk, junk mail that the recievers just throw into the bin. Ontop of this our well known elecrical stores recieve box upon box, and im talking huge boxes here containg nothing more than a few posters, flyers etc to advertise some cut price deal in the store. These poster only stay up a few days before being binned ready for the next lot the week after. The amount of trees one was cut down for these people to bring in money must be in the thousands. Do we really need all this?
next time your out shopping, take a look in the window of one of these well known stores...or not as the case is as they are covered in 'sale now on' posters. The size of these posters matches the box size.....what a waste.....they are adding to the problems on enviromental issues :mad:

Comments

• moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Judging by the junk I get, 80% of Royal Mail's business is junk - so if they did away with that - they could cut the staff by 80% and it would then cost 6p to post a letter - great idea !
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    Judging by the junk I get, 80% of Royal Mail's business is junk - so if they did away with that - they could cut the staff by 80% and it would then cost 6p to post a letter - great idea !

interesting economics you are running there
  • barnabee
    barnabee Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, the waste is terrible. Posted lots of times before but you can help reduce the mountain by:

1. Opt out of Royal Mails unaddressed mailings to you - link here

2. Remove your address from Direct Mail with the MPS - link here

The MPS link should allow you to remove one or more names from your address, register the name of a previous occupier who you keep getting Direct Mail for, register an old address you previously lived at and allow the register of a deceased person.

3. Most councils will send you a free 'No Junk Mail' sticker for your letterbox.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    interesting economics you are running there

Probably better than some you see on the Gas & Electricity threads !! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing