How old do i have to be for a mortgage?

Options
Or does it just go by salary affordability and credit rating? Any other factors?

Also who is the youngest mortgage free member on here?

Im looking to buy in 2011 which is a while off but looking to get all the info together that i need. Also dont know how to estimate the cost of bills and food etc aswel as the cost of the mortgage? Help please, i dont know where to start.
Work in progress...Update coming July 2012.

Comments

• herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    edited 5 November 2009 at 8:21PM
    Options
    Have a look here for a rough guide to costs

Your figures will be different but it gives an idea what to look out for

This site will also help
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am presuming looking at your your signature you are 18. Looking at the rest of your post i would like to suggest that you get to grips with knowing how to cope with your bills and grocery spending before you consider taking on something like a mortgage. Fair play to you looking ahead but its a very true
    thought, dont try to run before you can walk. Best wishes and all power to you
    Slimming World at target
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My brother bought his first property at 18 and owned 5 buy to lets by 21
    But he knew what he was doing and had all the contacts
  • rictus123
    rictus123 Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    edited 23 January 2012 at 11:06PM
    Options
    This is fantastic.
  • sparky23
    sparky23 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    9 years ago I bought my first flat at the age of 19.

I have had a mortgage ever since (house number 3 now)

Best of luck to you. :)
  • rictus123
    rictus123 Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hows it gone since then? Would you reccomend it?
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    I bought my first house when I was 21, ten years ago now. I had no problems at all with budgeting etc. However, you have to remember that the market is very different now, both in terms of house prices and mortgage availability.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £10k deposit on a £100k property is only a 10% deposit so you might struggle to get a mortgage in the current market!
    15 or even 20% would be a whole lot better and no you cant do a 75/25 or 70/30% deal its 50/50 because you are joint owners and jointly resposibile for the mortgage payment each month.
    My brother bought his Buy to lets a long time ago and sold them a few years later ( A lot of hard work being a landlord !)
  • nervousftb_3
    Options
    rictus123 wrote: »
    Nationwide say i should be able to get £94k mortgage on my own, or £137k combined so im sure less than £100k joint will be accepted? Is there anyone out there who allow over paying mortgage with no early repayment costs?

if i were you, i would concentrate solely on saving as much money as possible, and then when you are ready to buy you can start looking in more detail at mortgages etc. the reason i say this is that the market will probably have changed so much by the time you come to buy, it may be a waste of time doing too much research now into deposit amounts, types of mortgages, house prices and so on. mortgages with overpaying/no erc's may exist now, but that's not to say that those same mortgages will exist next week/in 6 months/in 2011.

have to say i am very impressed that you are thinking so far ahead, so just keep saving as best you can and then look again at the market in a year or two.
    2011 wins: £481
    Eleventh Heaven: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family