Feliway - Cat pheromone diffuser

Has anyone used this product and would you say it works?
My OH has just acquired cat no. 5 and tensions are running high (and that not just amoungst the cats :rolleyes: ). At the moment, even my "established" cats are having hissy fits with each other and the new kitten is confined to a bedroom as he has a reputation as being a bit of a thug!
A Feliway diffuser was recommended by my vet, but it's a bit pricy (£20 from him, but cheaper online) unless it really works.
"Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.

Comments

• maccyroo
    maccyroo Posts: 24 Forumite
    I can recommend a Feliway diffuser, have used one for about 6 months for cat with anxiety and aggression problems (towards other cats not humans). Keeps him well and truly chilled out and he's stopped fighting. The refills are cheaper (by about £4) than the actual diffuser plus feliway. The other thing I use is proper catnip, not the dried stuff but a live plant I give to the cat. He strips all the leaves off, scoffs them then goes to into a very contented stoned sleep. Good luck with the thug.
  • Red_Elle
    Red_Elle Posts: 476 Forumite
    I can recommend Feliway, but would say that it is best used as a stop gap, to chill the cats out, rather than a 'fix' for all problems.
    The best thing would be to get the plug in and then work on increasing vertical territory for the cats, so that the more nervous ones have somewhere to go and the new addition doesn't take up too much extra territory.
  • GuidonTheBee
    GuidonTheBee Posts: 25 Forumite
    We used Feliway on the arrival of our first child & it definately helped until our cat got used to the screaming smelling pink thing that was getting all our attention ;)

Positioning the diffuser seemd to be important though. We had to put it on the upstairs landing - dont know if the diffuser can only cover a certain area & it needs to be the 'right' area for the cats habits ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure