We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Switching from residential to BTL

Hi all.
Me and my girlfriend purchased our first house nearly 2 years ago now and so the fixed 2 year mortgage deal is coming to an end soon.

We now want to switch the mortgage to BTL to let it out, so we can move into another property.
We would also like to release some equity when remortgaging this property but are unsure whether we would be able to do this yet as we wont have paid much off the mortgage.

We had a mortgage of £105,000 when we bought our house, and I know it is currently worth about £140,000 so I know we were in good positive equity.
Just wondered iy anyone could give me abit of info berfore I contact any lenders.

many thanks

Comments

  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    you will be limited to 75% maximum LTV assuming the rental income fits the rental calculator of the chosen lender
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Bogbean
    Bogbean Posts: 22 Forumite
    I'm no expert on mortgage info but I was allowed to let mine in same circs even though I borrowed against the BTL property to buy my new residential one. I borrowed 110k on the BTL which was worth approx 160k at the time (I paid 187k but it had dropped by then). I had to change to an interest only mortgage on the BTL and my rent had to be something like 110% (ish) of the monthly mortgage payments.

    Not sure this is useful!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.