We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Deposit on a Credit Card

kriss_boy
kriss_boy Posts: 2,131 Forumite
edited 1 November 2009 at 10:06PM in Mortgages & endowments
Ive seen a dirt cheap 1 bed flat in my town up in Scotland for only 40K. The place needs a complete overhall which explains partly why its so cheap but I think the layout doesnt do it any favours either hence the low price.

The lounge however is massive and could be split into two bedrooms. The existing bedroom is big enough to become the lounge then. It has a loomed ceiling but with clever design it would work. Moving stud partion walls is easy and inexpensive if you know how though.

Anyway, do mortgage lenders look down on those using a credit card as the deposit?

Supposing you got it for 35K then a 10% deposit would only be £3500. Stick it on a 0% card and I could afford to pay the mortgage, deposit and my own house bills.

Comments

  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    No lender wil accept that.
  • kriss_boy
    kriss_boy Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    They used to though right?

    I could do a super balance transfer with virgin money to get the cash I guess.
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    As I've already stated, no lender will accept funds from a credit card or loan as a deposit.
  • kriss_boy
    kriss_boy Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    sorry.....
  • joolley
    joolley Posts: 100 Forumite
    I'm not sure that _Andy_ is correct. I have bought 3 houses here in Scotland over the years, the last being 1 yr ago when things were in the middle of going pear shaped (to live in not investments or anything). No lender has ever asked me where the deposit was coming from. I told them how much I had and merely handed the cheque to my solicitor on the day. It could have come from a virgin money cc, my Gran, my Pa or from hard earned savings for all they knew. As a FTB I think I said savings and thereafter equity but I don't recall anyone caring tbh.

    However, as to whether this is advisable - I suspect not. If you cannot find £3500 to put as a deposit, then where would you find money to do it up?

    Joolley
    Keep it simple and you will find the middle way.
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Andy is correct

    Part of money laundering regulations, is not only has to ID the person, but also the source of the funds
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Jez-_2
    Jez-_2 Posts: 24 Forumite
    _Andy_ wrote: »
    No lender wil accept that.

    I think we have already touched on the fact that while financially irresponsible, this is NOT the case.

    kriss_boy - you can do what you say by drawing cash on one card and then BT'ing to another. But to be honest if you cannot afford £3500 as a deposit are you really going to be in a position to be undertaking what sounds like major works on a property which are likely to cost several times over what the asking price of that flat is?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    If the money is sitting in your account then it becomes savings.

    You will also have some debt.

    Loads of people buy houses with mortgages when they have other debts and savings.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.