We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

First Time Buyer mortgage

I'm in the process of finding a mortgage. I have a mortgage promise from Halifax for 5x my salary and some other offers for slightly less from other providers.

The main problem I'm having at the moment is deciding between fixed and variable rate. In some ways fixed is great as I'd know what the repayments are and with a 5yr fixed rate that's pretty good. The best 5yr fixed rat I can find is 6.34% with Natwest (recently increased from 5.99% to 6.34%!!)

However, with interest rates low variable is quite attractive. Personally I can't see interest rates increasing significantly over the next 2-3 years so I'm thinking I should go for a 2yr variable at 2.49% above base (2.99% at the moment) and then look for a new product in 2 years. I'm no economy expert though!

What would people recommend? Anything else I should consider? What are your thoughts on interest rates?

Thanks
«1

Comments

  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Dependant on the size of your deposit you are taking a big risk at borrowing five times your income, couple that with a variable rate and you are taking a big risk, what if in two years rates start to shoot up and you are close t onegative equity?
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • sammyjammy wrote: »
    Dependant on the size of your deposit you are taking a big risk at borrowing five times your income, couple that with a variable rate and you are taking a big risk, what if in two years rates start to shoot up and you are close t onegative equity?

    I've prepared a budget plan and I can afford to repay a mortgage 5x my income.. just. Basing that on a 5yr fixed rate mortgage.
    My deposit is 15%.

    So you'd recommend against a variable rate then?
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    What disposable monthly income do you have to throw at a mortgage?

    Based on the variable rate, what would interest rates have to be in order for you to get close to your maximum budget?

    These two questions would need answering, in order for you to determine how comfortable you were on a variable rate mortgage really
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Around £900/month for mortgage repayments.

    I actually made a mistake when looking at the variable mortgage rates, I'd actually be looking at 4.14% above base with my deposit (15%). Therefore to reach the fixed rate level of 6.34% interest rates would only need to rise to 2.25%, i.e. increase by 1.75% on the current level.
    After finding this out the variable rate doesn't look so appealing.
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    So now that you have cleared up that question, you now need to find the most competitive fixed rate mortgage at 85%
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • herbiesjp wrote: »
    So now that you have cleared up that question, you now need to find the most competitive fixed rate mortgage at 85%

    Yep which looks to be 6.34% with a £0 product fee from what I've found.

    Does anyone know of anything better?
  • matttr6
    matttr6 Posts: 26 Forumite
    We had a meeting/ application with natwest last week and was advised to go on their tracker for 3 months then move across to there 5 year fixed at 5.25% (as you are an existing customer then)

    We are ftb's with a 10% deposit borrowing £135k
  • mclaren32
    mclaren32 Posts: 283 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    matttr6 wrote: »
    We had a meeting/ application with natwest last week and was advised to go on their tracker for 3 months then move across to there 5 year fixed at 5.25% (as you are an existing customer then)

    We are ftb's with a 10% deposit borrowing £135k

    Sounds like a great deal but I would check that very carefully, the eligibility for that deal is as follows (from the natwest site).....

    Existing NatWest mortgage customers looking to change deal

    Exclusive to: Residential customers currently on NatWest Standard Variable Rate or customers or at the end of their current NatWest mortgage deal.


    You wouldnt be on the standard variable rate or at the end of your current deal so I would be amazed if they were able to do what you are suggesting.
  • nat82
    nat82 Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    RBS are 6.34% with £0 fee for their FTB rate (5 year fixed) or 2 year fixed at 6.09% (6.59% for 5 year fixed) but with £999 fee.
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    If you are looking at arrangement fee free deals then that is the probably the best over 5 years

    Otherwise there are cheaper deals, but with arrangement fees to pay
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.