Any large employers in Glasgow, or seasonal work?

Options
I'm looking to move to Glasgow soon and am looking for any work at all. What are the biggest employers in the area? Any places which have a large turnover of staff? or that are taking on large amounts of seasonal staff?

Do Royal Mail have any mail centers there? I assumed they would but the Royal Mail site lists no jobs at all in Glasgow, are Royal Mail temps outsourced in Glasgow?

I don't really mind what the work is, happy to do warehouse work, process work, call center work etc..

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Mattjimf
    Mattjimf Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you check https://www.s1jobs.com that should give you an idea of the work available, also check places like manpower.
    Sometimes i surprise myself by being right.
  • flyingscotno1
    Options
    Delta-NC wrote: »
    I'm looking to move to Glasgow soon and am looking for any work at all. What are the biggest employers in the area? Any places which have a large turnover of staff? or that are taking on large amounts of seasonal staff?

Do Royal Mail have any mail centers there? I assumed they would but the Royal Mail site lists no jobs at all in Glasgow, are Royal Mail temps outsourced in Glasgow?

I don't really mind what the work is, happy to do warehouse work, process work, call center work etc..

Thanks for any help!

There is a mail centre in Springburn- as to employment ATM....

There are a lot of companies with big offices in Glasgow- Direct Line and Tesco's bank was to set up there as well.
  • goldspanners
    Options
    an agency would be your best bet i imagine for temporary seasonal work.
    ...work permit granted!
  • ramk_
    ramk_ Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, as above there is a mail centre at Springburn. Went past it yesterday and there was a sign up about Christmas jobs. Not sure if it was for there or just in general, sorry.
  • Delta-NC
    Delta-NC Posts: 118 Forumite
    edited 2 November 2009 at 10:08PM
    Options
    Mattjimf wrote: »
    If you check www.s1jobs.com that should give you an idea of the work available, also check places like manpower.

I've been checking S1 jobs for a while, unfortunately my CV is pretty much blank and the jobs on there tend to ask for a full one :D. Manpower site seems to be down but I'll cheep checking it :)
    ramk_ wrote: »
    Hi, as above there is a mail centre at Springburn. Went past it yesterday and there was a sign up about Christmas jobs. Not sure if it was for there or just in general, sorry.

Thanks, at least I know one exists now! Found an ad at the job center for teh jobs there but there is no sign of the jobs on the site. :confused:
    There are a lot of companies with big offices in Glasgow- Direct Line and Tesco's bank was to set up there as well.

Direct Line is a no no for me. Last time I had a phone interview with RBS Group I ended up telling them that their customer service was terrible and their attitude towards their customers was appalling. Funnily enough it seemed to make them more keen but after a few more minutes I told them I didn't want the job anymore and hung up. They called me back six times over the next half hour on my various phones but I didn't answer. :rotfl:

I'll look into Tesco Bank. :)
  • Dearsmore
    Dearsmore Posts: 2,670 Forumite
    Options
    Delta-NC wrote: »
    I didn't want the job anymore and hung up. They called me back six times over the next half hour on my various phones but I didn't answer. :rotfl:
    I'll look into Tesco Bank. :)
    Well I live here and there are lots of people looking for work, so maybe you should change your attitude or you won't get any job.
  • Delta-NC
    Options
    Dearsmore wrote: »
    Well I live here and there are lots of people looking for work, so maybe you should change your attitude or you won't get any job.

... and maybe you should get a life and stop being a judgmental wee !!!!! who hangs around on message boards putting the boot into strangers in hard times.

I wasn't sure if you where trying to being helpful before with the job center link but I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Yet no, you're just another of the forum !!!!!!. :rolleyes:

I traveled all the way to Glasgow last week (over 90km) for a McJob interview, must say I never dreamed of a job in fast food catering when I was working away into the early hours to earn my degree, but I'd be happy to do it!

It was clear that the RBS representative had a quota to fill, and it was obvious I was not going to get the job. I wasn't going to waste half an hour of my life for their benefit. They're a terrible company and I owe them nothing (except £2000 in overdraft ;) ).
  • Dearsmore
    Dearsmore Posts: 2,670 Forumite
    Options
    Yip, that's what I'm talking about :rolleyes:

You gave me the benefit of the doubt on my first post giving you the job centre plus website address? Well thanks. You could have been coming to Glasgow from the moon as far as I was concerned and thats why I posted it.

You don't know anything about me, so don't tell me about your hard times.

Considering you "Don't really mind" the work you do, Direct line is a no no, You told RBS what you thought of them! You don't mind working in a fast food outlet though...I doubt it as you're working on a degree and this might be beneath you. (Did you get that job or tell them where to stick it btw?)

Do you think employees of this land owe you something for obtaining a degree? Don't think so. As there are plenty of seasonal jobs going in and around this area, but I don't know what area you plan on being in (which you don't mention either at the start of your informative thread) I'm surprised you haven't been able to get anything...then there's the attitude issue again.

I have worked with lots of students and none of them have this attitude, but then they were not hiding behind a computer screen.

If you post on a forum expect to get replies, even if you don't like them.

Good luck in Glasgow (if you ever get here), you'll need it :D
  • Delta-NC
    Options
    You gave me the benefit of the doubt on my first post giving you the job centre plus website address? Well thanks. You could have been coming to Glasgow from the moon as far as I was concerned and thats why I posted it.

You were being an !!!!!! and you know it
    You don't know anything about me, so don't tell me about your hard times.

Yeah, your life must suck if your only pleasure in life is poking fun at the unemployed.
    Considering you "Don't really mind" the work you do, Direct line is a no no, You told RBS what you thought of them!

I don't mind what work I do, that doesn't mean I'll work for anyone. RBS spent fifteen minutes trying to get me to kiss their !!!!, so in the end I told them why I wasn't going to. RBS keep records of each phone interview you do (they brought up a previous application when I was speaking to them) so there is little point me applying to Direct Line. I won't get the job.
    You don't mind working in a fast food outlet though...I doubt it as you're working on a degree and this might be beneath you. (Did you get that job or tell them where to stick it btw?)

I'm not even sure what you are trying to say here. I already have my degree if that is what you are asking and I'd be happy to work in a fast food restaurant. I didn't get the job.

If they had spent 15 minutes trying to get me to claim their food was the finest cuisine in all of Europe then I would have told them it wasn't. This is pretty much what RBS wanted me to do.
    Do you think employees of this land owe you something for obtaining a degree?

Not at all, degrees are a scam. Anyone can get one if they're willing to get into debt and waste three years of their life. In fact I haven't even picked mine up out of protest. They wanted a £10 processing fee so I told them to keep it.
    Don't think so. As there are plenty of seasonal jobs going in and around this area, but I don't know what area you plan on being in (which you don't mention either at the start of your informative thread) I'm surprised you haven't been able to get anything...then there's the attitude issue again.

I'm aware of that, I have applied already for many seasonal places. In this post I was more inquiring to see if anyone local to the area knew of a large employer I may have overlooked. You know.. like.. doing something to try and give myself an edge in my job hunt!
    I have worked with lots of students and none of them have this attitude, but then they were not hiding behind a computer screen.

What attitude? If you want to see the one with the attitude you need to look in a mirror. I'm not hiding from anyone, especially not you. You want to meet me? Top of Buchanan street at 12 on Friday suit you?
    If you post on a forum expect to get replies, even if you don't like them. Good luck in Glasgow (if you ever get here), you'll need it :D

Just because someone posts on a forum doesn't give you the right to post sarky wee pot shots at them. It really is quite sad. If you have a genuine criticism of the topic being discussed then feel free to post your views. Attacking the poster is not an acceptable way to behave.

In effect what you did here was no different to running into a job center and telling the people in line to "get a job". It is not helpful in any way, its just petty.

Everyone can see that your initial post was exactly that, a pot shot. You attitude and attacks in the further posts show it to be true.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure