We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Trying for a new mortgage but in a 'potential redundant' situation

I have tried to get a fixed rate mortgage off the internet but as struggling as am being made redundant in December and so it would seem no one will touch me.

Currently I'm on a staff rate mortgage which will shoot up when made redundant, so i am looking to fix the mortgage so at least I know my out-goings for this.

Any ideas please?
Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....

Comments

  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    I know HBOS used to have an agreement with their union that ensured staff mortgage rate would continue for up to 12 months after redundancy. Perhaps your employer also has such an agreement?

    Worth checking out if it's a good deal worth keeping (and also the taxable benefit stops post-redundancy).

    I can't see why another lender would take your mortgage on when you have no income to support it, so your only other option would be to take a fix with your existing lender/employer.
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    74jax wrote: »
    I have tried to get a fixed rate mortgage off the internet but as struggling as am being made redundant in December and so it would seem no one will touch me.

    Currently I'm on a staff rate mortgage which will shoot up when made redundant, so i am looking to fix the mortgage so at least I know my out-goings for this.

    Any ideas please?

    Have you rung your lender to ask what they will offer?
    as you are being made redundant this will be your only option.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.