Genuine or Scam? (Prizes UK Spain Cruise)

Just got this email:

YOU RECENTLY REGISTERED
CONFIRMATION : A SPAIN CRUISE & STAY HOLIDAY WITH AN £800 VALUE HAS BEEN ALLOCATED (seems too good to be true).

Lots of information about the itinerary, a video to watch etc....
At the bottom of the email is:

"To process your application a £20 Administration & Booking fee is required that covers all administration costs related to confirming your booking for travel, plus hotel room accommodation. This administration fee also covers: notification of schedule for optional higher season dates available for your holiday, confirmation of booking of any optional extras selected i.e. excursions and half board meal plans. Plus confirming after booking and payment of any optional extras for excursions and tours, processing and delivery of final ticketing. You are also provided with a National rate telephone line with a full customer service staff to handle any queries. Supplements and refundable deposit may be required, simply click the link above to see full details."

I've always believed I should never have to pay out for a prize - even just £20.

Can anyone advise me please????
It's nice to be important.....but it's more important to be nice :)

Comments

• My instant reaction to this is that it's a scam. Have you entered this competition or is it a cold e-mail?
  • Melli
    Melli Posts: 4,602 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 October 2009 at 12:06PM
    Hi July1962

This seems familiar - have a read of this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2011769&highlight=cruise+scam

It's a scam, I'm afraid :(

eta: the title of your OP says Prizes UK and these are all the same prize, but with European Vacations (here, here and here) Looks like the same thing, but with a different name on the letterhead
  • July1962
    July1962 Posts: 910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    I don't recall entering (not sure I'd have entered knowing that I'd have to get to Portsmouth), but I MAY have done..... however, I can't find the original comp on here (and I'd have ONLY entered an MSE online comp).

I tried to log onto their website using the details I'd usually use for such sites - and my password was invalid (so I'm clearly not a registered user of PrizesUK.)

I've sent them an email asking for more information (in the past 10 minutes I've received 2 spam items from them).

I'm assuming it's a scam :-(
    It's nice to be important.....but it's more important to be nice :)
  • As a rule you NEVER have to pay for wins.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • nikkit72
    nikkit72 Posts: 2,458 Forumite
    CONFIRMATION : A SPAIN CRUISE & STAY HOLIDAY WITH AN £800 VALUE HAS BEEN ALLOCATED
    To process your application a £20 Administration & Booking fee is required
    This is always the way to see it a scam , you would of won this not allocated if it really is a win,
    and you never never pay for any comp !!
    Dont forget that little Thanks button , only takes a sec
  • Mince_Pie
    Mince_Pie Posts: 206 Forumite
    Thanks everyone, I got an email pretty much the same this morning saying I'd won a romantic trip to Paris worth £600 - I have entered competitions recently and 1 was a trip to Paris (funnily enough I'm sure it was posted on here as this is the only place I enter competitions from!)

Just wondering if one of the comps I've signed up to on here has passed my details on... Despite me always stating "Don't pass details on!"

Ohh well, time to tell the wife to stop packing :D
  • I've also had an email today saying i've won an £800 mini cruise round spain from them - Im pretty sure I never entered it so im guessing its a scam!
  • nikkit72
    nikkit72 Posts: 2,458 Forumite
    you have not won , you have been allocated !!!!!!!!!

its all a scam
    Dont forget that little Thanks button , only takes a sec
  • Melli
    Melli Posts: 4,602 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    To update this thread, I just found this on the Mirror website (whilst searching for comps). I've posted it on the Comps Discussion thread, but thought it may be of relevance to anyone searching IWIWIW for further info in the future.

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/investigations/2009/11/prize-scammer-uk-incentives-pr.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure