Log Cabin Homes

I've been thinking about buying a log cabin home to put on a piece of land I have owned for years.

I understand I will have to get planning permission to put up the building, but does anyone have any experience of living in one of these buildings?

Are they warm enough in winter? Do they last well?

I am thinking of fitting a wood burner, and treating all the wood regularly.

Comments

• If the land is quite rural it is normally very difficult to get planning permission for a new dwelling - especially if it's also in the Green Belt.

I don't have any experience of living in one though - but I'm sure someone else on here can answer your specific questions!
  • Thanks planning_officer

Is planning permission easier if there are existing dwellings on the land?
  • It depends where it is - is it in a designated Green Belt? If it's rural land then not really - only converting existing buildings is normally regarded as acceptable, and even then, this only applies to pure conversions - without large extensions etc. If the land is within a residential curtilage, i.e. part of a garden, then it may be slightly easier to get permission for a new dwelling/log cabin, but it depends on the policies of your local Council. However, even if it is garden land, if it's also within the Green Belt then that would be extremely difficult, if not impossible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure