PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

jazzing up some sponge cake...

Options
I was experimenting and made a pear upside down cake at the weekend. It turned out quite boring (mainly down to me not putting enough pear in). There's only 2 of us and now its getting a bit dry and needs eating up.

Any ideas for making it a bit more exciting? I've got milk/eggs/sugar/cocoa. No more pear though!

Thanks!

Comments

• ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    custard?? jazzes up any sponge!
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• maro11
    maro11 Posts: 309 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have lemon juice and icing sugar? If so turn it into a lemon drizzle cake by adding the lemon juice to the icing sugar and pouring over the top.
  • spaghetti_monster
    Options
    Thanks!
    Not so into custard..... but can I make it without custard powder??

Liking the lemon idea very much. There's pears on the bottom and a bit of cinnamon and ginger in the sponge - do you think lemon would go?
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    alex_w wrote: »
    Thanks!
    Not so into custard..... but can I make it without custard powder??

Liking the lemon idea very much. There's pears on the bottom and a bit of cinnamon and ginger in the sponge - do you think lemon would go?

To your first question, yes you can - it's made with eggs, milk and sugar, and (I think) has to be cooked in a bowl over boiling water so you don't end up with sweet scrambled eggs. I've never done it myself - it's one of those things I keep intending to do 'one day'. I'll do it eventually, I'm sure. :o

To your second question - definitely! Lemon goes really well with spicy cake - I had a piece of lemon-iced spice cake while I was on holiday earlier this month and it was wonderful!
  • spaghetti_monster
    Options
    I've also been meaning to try and make custard from scratch (to try and banish childhood custard traumas...thick rubbery yellow skin...)

But you've convinced me to go with the lemon solution!
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Chocolate and alcohol generally make things more exciting ;) Try chocolate and rum custard.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure