Minimum wage

Options
hi all, if this is not the right place i am sorry. I work in a bar at the moment in the evenings and i earn £5 an hour:mad: everyone there does. People who are 22+ i have today found out that this is below mimimum wage is there anything i can do? i have just started working there and dont want to complain when i know everyone is in the same boat but at the same time its not fair. Any ideas?
x
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."

Comments

• BargainGalore
    Options
    Here you go good luck

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nmw/

£5.80 per hour for workers aged 22 years and older

How does HMRC enforce the law?

There are two key aspects to our approach to enforcement:
    • a telephone helpline
    • a network of 16 teams of national minimum wage compliance officers
  • jamesb1239
    Options
    That depends, Is this bar work cash in hand? if so then you are not paying tax on it etc and they pay with the hope that you will take it and be happy, but you ARE liable to pay tax and NI on it.

If you are already paying tax and NI on the money and only receiving £5ph BEFORE deductions then I would definately say something about it
  • angelic84
    angelic84 Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    check they know you are over 22 first of all and see what they say. check what the min actually is, i think its £5.78 but please do check. i know the manager at my part time job started off paying me 18 year old min wage cos he didnt think i was 22 yet and i am nearly 26! sort of a compliment i spose. everyone else puts up with it so this is why they carry on. are you talking after tax tho? you may be on emergency tax and this can take a chunk. if this is your contracted wage then you are right, it is not fair. dont be scared to ask someone but dont go storming in, maybe act a little naiive and jokingly say to your boss you thought minimum was more than that! never be afraid to ask for what you are entitled to! but please check what this is first!
    taken on second job + £160 per month
    rejigged my bills + £190 per month
    got cheaper car to run + £40 per month
    got two liftsharers + £120 p/m
    given up smoking since 31/12/2008 + 180 p/m
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts