We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

£19.99 freeview box

Free view digital box only 19.99 from ebuyer

Comments

  • ehosin
    ehosin Posts: 216 Forumite
    here's a link...
    YO!
  • Horlock
    Horlock Posts: 1,027 Forumite
    Can anyone tell me if this is suitable for a dvd-recorder.

    Story is I have a dvd-recorder and I have a tv with built in freeview - but the dvd-recorder doesn't seem to be able to record the tv because the tv doesn't seem to output the signal. Also our non-digital signal is pretty poor so the dvd recorder can't even record channel 4 (no big brother! - is that good or bad?). So now I think I want a separate box so that I can record channel 4 etc.

    Will this do the job? Am i just being stupid?
    There is no intelligent life out there ... ask any goldfish!
  • Horlock
    Horlock Posts: 1,027 Forumite
    But presumably I need to be watching the channel I want to record though - or am I missing something else
    There is no intelligent life out there ... ask any goldfish!
  • Horlock
    Horlock Posts: 1,027 Forumite
    Cheers this is really helpful - I think - i do have the manual but it is as thick as my arm and I gave up.

    Any ideas if it is/may be possible to record the tv without the tv being on.

    Like if I go on holiday for a week and want to record Lost for example - do I need to leave the TV switched on - or will standby do the trick - if not it may be worth the £20.
    There is no intelligent life out there ... ask any goldfish!
  • Searcher2
    Searcher2 Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    No - you don't need the TV on. You should be able to set the TV to send different programs to the DVD recorder at different times... you will have to set the DVD recorder to record the AV channel you have connected the TV to at these same times (unless your DVD recorder is compatible with your TV and the TV can set the DVD recorder - doubt it though).

    The TV should only be doing the same thing as the set top box.... so you shouldn't need a set top box.

    I would recommend having a play or trying to make sense of the TV manual.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.