Price shown on internet not right

Options
Hi Guys,

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong area. But some advice would be good please.

I have just found an item online that I know would be pretty expensive, but it is shown as £0.00. I thought ok try to find out exactly how much it is so I'll add it to a shopping basket to see if that will tell me. Then go to the checkout which I have done and all it does is still registers it at £0.00 with £20 delivery. Now I know that its wrong it has to be but just out of interest how would it stand if I went through the checkout process and purchased could I bag myself the bargain of the century and get it for £20. My other half says he knows that if a shop advertises an item at the wrong price from their end they have to honour it, so how does it measure up.

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    They do not have to honour it.

Some do, most do not, chances are you will get a cancellation email through.

Out of interest, how about a link incase we have experience with the website on here.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    sontoon wrote: »
    My other half says he knows that if a shop advertises an item at the wrong price from their end they have to honour it, so how does it measure up.

Many thanks in advance

Your other half is wrong. The price tag/label is actually the purchasers offer for the product - the retailer is fully within their rights to refuse to sell anything to anyone.
    The legal issue with incorrect pricing is something that trading standards can take up with retailers and can fine them for, but a customer cannot insist on buying aproduct for the price on a label.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My other half says he knows that if a shop advertises an item at the wrong price from their end they have to honour it, so how does it measure up.
    He's wrong. Not just normal wrong... but THIS MUCH WRONG:

fail_cat_cone.jpg

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • yummymummy888888
    Options
    BUT if the item is scanned or input into the till at the wrong price AND you are told the incorrect price, ie: thats £9.99 please, THEN a contract has been made between you and the shop and legally you can demand it at that price.

Well that was the law 10 years ago. I am probably so out of touch:rotfl:
  • sontoon
    sontoon Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Guys

Shame really thought I could've got the deal of the century lol ah well better luck next time I guess

http://appliance-source.co.uk/rangemaster-toledo-90-induction/2193

Its a cooker I'm looking for so if anyone knows where I can get an electric range 90/100cm cooker for about £750 quid would love to hear

thanks again

p.s spoke to the other half and has changed his statement to if they sell it to you at a wrong advertised price then they cannot ask for the difference... typical man lol
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    Small company based in Southampton.

You aren't even going to get this sent to you by mistake!

£20 for a cooker that retails for £1700......
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • property.advert
    Options
    Some programs can default to a zero price if there is no stock as stock control is run from sales price and vice versa. Just simple coding in cheap software.

It is the invitation to treat and offer for sale legal argument but some stores do have a policy on this. Carrefour's policy is to give you the item at the lower of the two prices. I guess John Lewis would probably do the same as they price match (they'd have to price match themselves !). I know Tesco and Asda do it, at least on sub £10 items, when I've pulled them up on it, but a cooker for nothing ? No.

You may do better to email the company, pointing out the error and making light heart about wanting to buy it at £0.00 and perhaps asking for a discount. I suspect any reasonable business proprietor would give you something of for taking the trouble to point out their error.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sometimes its also a publicity stunt, they can lure people in with offers that don't exist, people fill their boots, bookmark the site, tell their friends (advertise for them) and even when the offer falls through- either by being told it was a mistake, technical error or too popular, the company still remains well known to the would be customer and their friends. Offers to apologise and good will 10-20% off vouchers can help the company remain in the shoppers good books.

Not all companies are like this, but just saying I've seen similar before.
  • catch22
    catch22 Posts: 540 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    It's actually about time internet prices advertised were more thoroughly investigated and acted upon. The amount of times prices shown on comparison sites and search engine advertisements are misquoted/false is unbelievable.
    catch22
  • falady
    falady Posts: 584 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Guys

Shame really thought I could've got the deal of the century lol ah well better luck next time I guess

http://appliance-source.co.uk/rangemaster-toledo-90-induction/2193

Its a cooker I'm looking for so if anyone knows where I can get an electric range 90/100cm cooker for about £750 quid would love to hear

thanks again

p.s spoke to the other half and has changed his statement to if they sell it to you at a wrong advertised price then they cannot ask for the difference... typical man lol

Hi there,

Just a 'warning' on finding the kind of cooker you want - we bought a 'New World' range cooker (100cm wide) for £700 a couple of years ago and we thought we'd got a bargain. However, it is rubbish. Poor quality parts, often breaking etc. I wish i'd spent the extra and bought the 'Rangemaster Toledo' that I wanted!

Ali
    Not Buying It 2015 :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family