'A No. 10 trip.. insider Downing Street' blog discussion

edited 23 October 2009 at 4:35PM in Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News
12 replies 2.5K views
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.
Please click reply to discuss below.
«1

Replies

  • FrugaldomFrugaldom Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Love the casual dress sense! No need for being suited and booted these days when jeans will do. :D Well done on getting as far as Number 10 with the banking issues! :T
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
  • Interesting to hear the level of security these days, I was treated aged 6 to a trip to London after a serious health issue and 30 years ago we could walk right along the street, watch the coming and going, i recall having my photo taken with the copper on the door. Then a stroll out the dead end (for cars) into St James' Park to feed ducks or something.

    Last time I was in London about 2 years ago, I did drive down Whitehall and glanced over, it looked like Fort Knox.
  • opaqueopaque Forumite
    183 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Blimey Petmidget, theres been some form of gates since 1982 and the current gates since 1989. If you go down Whitehall and Parliament Street now you'll see more posts and concrete barriers than there used to be as well.

    So Martin you dressed smarter to go on Watchdog than Downing Street? ;)
    It is good to know that people with sense (ie you!) get to talk to the right people occasionally.
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    nykmedia wrote: »
    Love the casual dress sense! No need for being suited and booted these days when jeans will do. :D Well done on getting as far as Number 10 with the banking issues! :T

    Honesstly its just the pic - I had a smart stripey shirt on i promise :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • opaque wrote: »
    Blimey Petmidget, theres been some form of gates since 1982 and the current gates since 1989. If you go down Whitehall and Parliament Street now you'll see more posts and concrete barriers than there used to be as well.

    So Martin you dressed smarter to go on Watchdog than Downing Street? ;)
    It is good to know that people with sense (ie you!) get to talk to the right people occasionally.


    Well it would have been summer 1980, so i guess i pre-dated the gates, i was only a nippa. And dont get to London much
  • brightonman123brightonman123 Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    wonder why no cameras allowed inside.. not likes there's a rave going on,??
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • Money_Maker_ShakerMoney_Maker_Shaker Forumite
    424 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Are you implying Martin that you could have walked out with someone else's mobile/blackberry (or vice versa)? Just think of the possibilities .... !
    :j Go on, shake your money maker! :j
  • "the only single one is Tony Blair’s at the end. So it seems the occupant after Gordon Brown will need to have the photos rearranged in columns of three to accommodate them all in future."
    Sorry to be pedantic but it sounds like it should be the occupier after the occupier after GB. When GB finally gets his just desserts, the next poor sod will put GB's mug under Blair's. So the one after will have the rearrangement nightmare.
  • Wow every time I watch the tv recently I see Martin, Watchdog, Countdown & now this.................. not that I am complaining far from it I wish it was you residing at number 10
    Theres only two rules to remember
    1) Im always right
    2) See rule 1
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    PaulChelt wrote: »
    "the only single one is Tony Blair’s at the end. So it seems the occupant after Gordon Brown will need to have the photos rearranged in columns of three to accommodate them all in future."
    Sorry to be pedantic but it sounds like it should be the occupier after the occupier after GB. When GB finally gets his just desserts, the next poor sod will put GB's mug under Blair's. So the one after will have the rearrangement nightmare.


    Quite right - funnily enough that's exactly what I meant to write - but I wrote it in three chunks with dispruptions and missed it at speed :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides