Advice Please

I'm only just 'debt free' so being mortgage free is a long way away at the moment.

I have 27 years to go on my mortgage and I have it in two parts, 108k in mortgage and 21k in equity release loan.

Any tips on where I should start?

Thanks

GW

Replies

• FrankieMFrankieM Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm by no means an experty but....I have my mortgage in 3 different parts as well. I'm allowed to over pay only by 20% of the monthly repayments because we are on a fixed rate.
    I'm putting my overpayments into a savings account and when the fixed rate finishes will pay the lump sum off my 'cheapest' part. Which is just over £17k.
    Then once that is paid off will roll over the payments to pay the next chunk off...etc...etc.

I hope that helps...

Oh I'm also putting all change into my mortgage pig....and any money left over from the grocery shop/ petrol etc will go into the mortgage savings account too.
  • Thanks, I have no idea about over payments, but I'm not capped or fixed so I guess it should be ok.

As for a mortgage pig, well I am using my pig that I have had since I was about 4 to save left over change and £2 coins. It's a start!

Thanks

GW
  • FrankieMFrankieM Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    About overpayments...give your mortgage provider a call and see how it all works. I'm pretty sure that you can just up your fixed monthly payments....and then pay off odd amounts as and when..
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals