P87 Claim from April 09 HMRC Cheque Dec 09>

Options
Anyone else having problems with HMRC and payment of P87 claims?

Submitted mine in April as soon as I had my P60 which I have done for years now and it usually gets paid by end of July. Anyway this year because "Off the new Computer System they have installed for my benefit" they are unable to print out cheques as there system has a bug in it "allegedly" and is confused as I was once on Self Assessment (2001) and therefore can't print me a Cheque out. I have been phoning and chasing HMRC every Friday since the end of July, escalated it etc.

They say they have all my details and the claim has been approved, they just need to issue a Cheque, but theur system won't print one, which they say is affecting numerous claims. They have advised now that there is a system fix due to go in at the end of November that may resolve the issue, if so they can then send the Cheque early December, but can't confirm anything.

Now by my calculations I am owed about £1,600.00 which I could do with, but if this is effecting numerous other people they are earning a lot of interest on mine and other peoples money, plus if I was this late submitting to them I would get fined if I did Tax Returns, but it appears they have no comeback and I just have to wait.

Is there anything more I can do?
Cheers
Steve

Comments

• trevormax
    Options
    You could send a letter to your MP to contact them on your behalf. HMRC usually jump to it rather fast when an MP complaint case is handed to them. However, this won't make much difference if they are being 100% honest with you and physically can not print the cheque out for you.

You could also ask them if there is any other way they can pay you. By paying directly to your account for instance.

This problem however is not affecting everyone as people I know have had no issues getting their money.
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sjc wrote: »

Submitted mine in April as soon as I had my P60 which I have done for years now and it usually gets paid by end of July. Anyway this year because "Off the new Computer System they have installed for my benefit" they are unable to print out cheques as there system has a bug in it "allegedly" and is confused as I was once on Self Assessment (2001) and therefore can't print me a Cheque out. I have been phoning and chasing HMRC every Friday since the end of July, escalated it etc.

They say they have all my details and the claim has been approved, they just need to issue a Cheque, but theur system won't print one, which they say is affecting numerous claims. They have advised now that there is a system fix due to go in at the end of November that may resolve the issue, if so they can then send the Cheque early December, but can't confirm anything.

Now by my calculations I am owed about £1,600.00 which I could do with, but if this is effecting numerous other people they are earning a lot of interest on mine and other peoples money, plus if I was this late submitting to them I would get fined if I did Tax Returns, but it appears they have no comeback and I just have to wait.

Is there anything more I can do?

1) There is a problem with the new system, and I'm sure you will know that every new computer system has it's bugs that have to be ironed out. The problem has to do with those who were previously in Self Assessment,the system reconciles each subsequent year as the individual being in SA, therefore assumes the SA system is issuing the repayment. There is nothing HMRC can do until the fix is in place, the system is built by an outside company who is preparing the fix, but the earliest this will be done is November.

2) HMRC do not gain any interest on the money held in it's holding accounts. i.e.no intrest is payable to HMRC from the Bank on money used for repayments.

If you sub,itted tax returns and the year of submission was 2008/09,you would not yet be charged any intrest, or be fined for not yet submitting that tax return. Paper returns have to be submitted by End October (unlesss there is a refund situation), and online submissions by end January 2010, payment is also due on or before 31 Jan 2010 before interest becomes due on the payment.

3) If you are really desperate for the money, i.e.it is leaving you in a hardship situation, Call and explain and ask for a call back from the Repayment Officer to enquire as to the possibility of requesting a manual payment.
    You could also ask them if there is any other way they can pay you. By paying directly to your account for instance.

As this is a payment issued from the PAYE system it cannot be issued any other way. There is no BACS process for informal calculations such as this. Payments can be sent to the bank at the request of the taxpayer, however it is simply a cheque payment that is issued to the bank, not a bacs transfer.

Only Self Assessment repayments can be issued via BACS/CHAPS.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • marciam
    Options
    I'm community care work , I sent 4 years claim, got a letter asking me to proof my mileages, done it, so last contact was in august, so I decide to ring HMCR in october , after a week I got a letter telling me the my case was sent TO A MORE EXPERIENCED OFFICER. But one of my colleagues sent her at the same time got her cheque last week , but was only 1/5 of what she claimed. I'm bit worried now, cause a claimed 5.000 gran+ , and I dont want I tax code adjust I want the full amount, cause I got baby now , and I'm not working as I use to. And a money is always welcome with a baby. Any help?

Is there anything more I can do?[/QUOTE]
  • Hoddie_2
    Hoddie_2 Posts: 622 Forumite
    Options
    I'm community care work , I sent 4 years claim, got a letter asking me to proof my mileages, done it, so last contact was in august, so I decide to ring HMCR in october , after a week I got a letter telling me the my case was sent TO A MORE EXPERIENCED OFFICER. But one of my colleagues sent her at the same time got her cheque last week , but was only 1/5 of what she claimed. I'm bit worried now, cause a claimed 5.000 gran+ , and I dont want I tax code adjust I want the full amount, cause I got baby now , and I'm not working as I use to. And a money is always welcome with a baby. Any help?
    A higher grade officer will need to review your claim if it's the first one you made in this employment (which as you're submitting 4 years together it likely is). It doesn't have anything to do with the amount you claim. Your colleague probably received her repayment more quickly because it wasn't her first claim.
    Quidco savings: £499.49 tracked, £494.35 paid.
  • iamana1ias
    iamana1ias Posts: 3,777 Forumite
    Options
    marciam wrote: »

you only get the tax back on the difference. Unless you earn more than £40k+ that will be 20% or 1/5th ;)
    I was born too late, into a world that doesn't care
    Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair
  • marciam
    marciam Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 6 November 2009 at 7:25PM
    Options
    yr right Hoddie. Its my first claim, but not for the same company, cause I use to get 15p per mile , but now, I got nothing:confused:, that is the main reason I decide to claim it, and its funny cause is my colleague first claim too. So, I very confused now. Cause i dont earn 40k year , neither my colleague. I'll get 20% of 5.000 grand or what?. Am I right?
  • Hoddie_2
    Options
    If you're a basic rate taxpayer you'll get basic rate relief which is currently 20% (22% for the earlier years of your claim). So yeah, 20% of 5000 or thereabouts.

Each year's claim is treated seperately and capped at the total tax you paid that year. For example, if you only paid 120 in tax during 2008-09, the most they will refund for that year is 120.
  • marciam
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, and sorry to be a pain , but how they normally pay it back? Tax relief or cheque?:o
  • Hoddie_2
    Options
    It'll be a cheque for the years you've claimed for. They'll probably also assume that you'll qualify for the relief going forward, and adjust your current tax code to give this year's relief at source. This relief will be based on last year's claim and at the end of the tax year you'll receive a form asking you to confirm the actual amount you wish to claim for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure