We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

A quick question about buying online specs

After you`ve received your specs from whoever, do you get instructions on how to adjust the arms for comfort?
I ask cos everytime i buy new specs i`ve always to go back for minor adjustment - the warm them on some machine and bend them.
Just wondered - i`m still going to get a pair but call in one of the shops that sell online because its not that far from me.
thanks val:rolleyes:

Comments

  • brinky_2
    brinky_2 Posts: 184 Forumite
    Some give you advice about putting the leg in hot water to soften it. In my experience most high street shops are quite happy to adjust for little (or no) fee as long as it is done at your own risk.

    I seem to recall a post from just rimless where they said they would adjust them for you if you wrote the sizes on the order.
  • morg_monster
    morg_monster Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    Boots opticians adjusted the arm length on mine for free. They were bought from a local opticians (not Boots) which was clear from the case I gave them but they never questioned it. Go in at a quiet time if you can, they'll be less likely to take the time if they are busy.
  • ben500
    ben500 Posts: 23,192 Forumite
    Can someone post a link to the thread for online specs? I've just collected my script and wanted to shop around but can't find it!
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.


    Together we can make a difference.
  • I think this is what you are after, if you haven't already found it!

    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=29444&highlight=cheap+glasses
  • tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    nuttywoman wrote:
    After you`ve received your specs from whoever, do you get instructions on how to adjust the arms for comfort?
    I ask cos everytime i buy new specs i`ve always to go back for minor adjustment - the warm them on some machine and bend them.

    I've just bought mine online and I didn't have to adjust them at all (first time ever), because I was able to give the exact measurement needed (just measured my old specs). If you've got metal frames you should be able to adjust them easily, but if they're plastic (or have plastic arms), they need warming up first. That hot-air thingy opticians use is very similar to (don't laugh!) a popcorn maker, and that works - I've used it several times, but just mind your hands. Otherwise, as has been mentioned, any optician should be able to do it for a small fee (if it's the one where you got the eye test you might not even be charged).
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a problem.

    I was dissapointed with my last perscription for glasses from Direct Optik and allways thought that the eyetest was rushed so this time I decided to be clever and use my NH free test at Scrivens and also to take advantage of D&As free one as well to cross check, guess what ? I now have 2 widely differant perscriptions ( both of which I had to ask for ) !

    Should I try a 3rd test and who do I believe ?

    shammy
  • tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    shammyjack wrote:
    Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a problem.

    I was dissapointed with my last perscription for glasses from Direct Optik and allways thought that the eyetest was rushed so this time I decided to be clever and use my NH free test at Scrivens and also to take advantage of D&As free one as well to cross check, guess what ? I now have 2 widely differant perscriptions ( both of which I had to ask for ) !

    Should I try a 3rd test and who do I believe ?

    It's not unusual, and it's not necessarily the optician's fault - you may have a condition called pseudo-myopia, like me. It's basically a spasm in your eye, often caused if you stare at something like a computer screen for long periods (and sometimes at the screen during an eye test), and it can cause your eye(s) to become temporarily more short-sighted. My optician always checks mine twice to make sure.

    Yes, if you can get another freebie, it would probably be worth getting another and see if it's similar to one of the others you've got already. Bring the prescriptions into the third optician and explain your problem.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.