New laptop so confused!

Options
mariebalchin
mariebalchin Posts: 20 Forumite
edited 17 October 2009 at 2:37PM in Shop but don't drop
Hi, I am looking for a new laptop and am starting to get a headache its all so confusing. I have a maximum of £350. I have looked at ebuyer and laptop direct and there are so many I am now lost! The Dell inspiron 17 at carphone warehouse also looks like a good deal. Can anyone advise me on a good deal for my price? (i know its not a great budget!). thanks

I was thinking maybe this one
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/buy/DELL_INSP_17

or this one
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167396

Comments

• lappish22
    lappish22 Posts: 205 Forumite
    Options
    I was in the same boat a few days ago...and ended up buying the Dell Inspiron 17 at Carphone Warehouse. Seemed the best deal for what I wanted. Hope its ok! I had to make a decision !!!! :beer:
  • mariebalchin
    Options
    Thanks. I just need to decide on one and go for it! lol!
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    To confuse you even more, I just read on one of the other threads that Currys is apparently going to have 25% off Vista laptops as from 19th October!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • cave_2
    cave_2 Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't buy a dell laptop - I have one and the hard disk has more or less packed in without much use - techie boyfriend thinks they use hi-spec but poor quality components. My last laptop was a HP - little bit more expensive, but ran like a dream.

C
    Craftster.com is eating all my free time!
  • killer_cam
    Options
    get a hp i got a hp ages ago but ordered off there USA site so got it relly cheap £250 top notch
  • paulwf
    paulwf Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Options
    The key thing is to decide on the screen size.

I use a 17" laptop, it is a Toshiba but similar in size to the Inspiron 17 you link to. It is a big beast of a laptop...not what you would want to lug around out and about and a fairly short battery life. That's not what 17" screens are about though...they are usually termed "desktop replacements" as they have a big screen like a desktop PC (great for watching DVDs) but with the convenience of being able to move them from room to room and put them on your lap.

If you require portability and long battery life then 15" or smaller would be better. My advice would be to visit Currys or PC World and have a good browse to see what type of setup suits you best. You'll then be much better armed to look out for bargains online.

BTW the new version of Windows is due out in a week or so, it would be worth holding on to either get a new laptop with Windows 7 pre-installed or there might be good bargains on older Windows Vista models.
  • jaymac_2
    jaymac_2 Posts: 1,740 Forumite
    Options
    We have four Dell laptops at home and they've been fine. Go through quidco for an extra 5% off. Remember windows 7 is due out this week and is supposed to be better than vista so it might be worth waiting for that.
  • emski1234
    Options
    I bought the Dell Inspiron 17 yesterday from carphone warehouse and am very pleased with it so far. As mentioned above, wouldn't be any good for carrying around with you as too big/heavy. Ideal for at home though.
    No need to wait for windows 7 as it comes with a free upgrade for when it comes out.
  • mariebalchin
    Options
    Hi, does anyone know if this is any good?:confused:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173536

thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts