'Thrifty Ways on The Telly' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.
Read Martin's "Thrifty Ways on the telly" Blog.
Please click reply to discuss below.

Replies

• mcjordimcjordi Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    watching this now on itv 1 yey
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • socks_uksocks_uk Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    watching it now!
    Starting Debt 21st August 2019 = £11,024
    Debt at August 2021 = £7055
    Debt Free Challenge - To be debt free by August 2024
  • nikki702nikki702 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    washing your hair with rain water :confused::rotfl:
  • have just posted this on the actual OS board but thought it would be better here!!

well done everyone involved in the programme....haven't looked forward to watching telly like i did tonight in a long time!!!
    I do have to lend my weight to the idea that it was abit 'jumpy' from tip to tip-i do get the idea of cramming the info in but i think its such a gem of an idea...and a timely one at that....that it could well make a great series giving each family abit more time to share their ideas-thats what makes MSE so great for me,i can flick through and read all the different topics and tips that interest me and relate to my family,infact i found the OS thread by accident (well nosiness....i hadnt popped into that thread coz i thought it didnt apply to me.....WRONG!!!) and now i batch cook,sew things,make gel smellies,use a slow cooker,make bean can christmas cakes,use vinegar like its the 8th wonder of the world.....and im a 29yr old mum of 3 young girls not exactly a candidate for OS (i really didnt think it would apply to our family as no-ones ever shown me how to 'make do and mend' so im glad to eat my hat and say thank you OS'ers!!) ITS SAVED ME FORTUNES..and gives me a sense of motherly pride money couldnt buy when ive spent a day filling my freezer with homemade chicken kievs and have a double batch of twinks honobs ready for the girls comming out of school:D
    Ive waffled,i know,but im passionate about getting the message out to younger families that we waste too much and shows like this can really educate in an exciting way,Martin you know what makes a good show,i hope you agree and push for a series-how about ditching ITV and getting a slot on the one show on BBC...then doing a spin off once you get everyone hooked ( rouge traders,watchdog...MSE A'n'E,lol)
    well done everyone.............lets have a series :beer:
    xxxlaura
    it takes more energy
    to hate than to love...
    love and relax!

• I love these kinds of programmes and watch them all. I did find this one really interesting. I'm always surprised by how much money some people waste and just how much they can go on to save.
    Mortgage Free in 3-T2 : Started at £151,000 Nov. 2009 Mortgage Free Oct 1st 2015 :)
  • Don't quote me Nikki, but I think you'll find rain water caught in a butt in softer. This is because when rainwater hits the ground it then has to travel through whatever substrates there are before finally ending up in the water system. Hence you have areas that are hard/soft water etc and are 'cleansed' with chemicals and treatments.
    If I offer my animals a bucket of water from the tap or water from a butt, they go for the butt every time!
  • edited 17 October 2009 at 8:02AM
    mehermeher
    15.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 October 2009 at 8:02AM
    I caught up with the feature here. Excellent editing. Nicely narrated. Very good idea inviting an environmental consultant, that emphasis on awareness of waste complimenting cost is normally taken for granted.

Roadkill animals sound scary and tragic but from what I understand it is an environmentally friendly thing to do as it doesn't decompose, also lesser risky as there' no artificial feeding and drugs pumped into most of those animals and birds, I was still surprised it was included in the programme because I thought it wasn't as appealing here in the UK as in the States.

Martin looked very nice in the later part of the documentary, nice shirt as well. The only thing I didn't like was the leather jacket because it somehow gives a very common :o look. Or at least it shouldn't have had the shoulder epaulettes. Hope :D it was ok to comment on that.

Anyway more on topic, you could easily do this as a series including range of topics like sewing and gardening and preparing gifts (fruitbaskets/hampers/arts/crafts), herbal preparations for common ailments (don't know if the OS has explored that area) etc and actually bring in a trend of not only being money saving but also promoting old style lifestyle as a timeless classic.
  • Yeah, Meher, but you know what happens when the media get hold of these things ... they become very twee and easy - look at the home renovation programmes, it all gets a bit silly.

Nobody ever seems to mention that a lot of it takes more time and can be hard work.
  • SallyDSallyD Forumite
    1K Posts
    Uniform Washer
    Great programme hope my son (he who spends money like water) was watching and realised I do talk sense when I offer him my tips to economise. But hats off to BARBARA GREEN what a glamorous granny - those outfits were just fabulous - sack Joan Collins (anyone that saw her programme in the week will know what I mean...hopefully):T
    SallyD
  • SallyDSallyD Forumite
    1K Posts
    Uniform Washer
    have just posted this on the actual OS board but thought it would be better here!!

well done everyone involved in the programme....haven't looked forward to watching telly like i did tonight in a long time!!!
    I do have to lend my weight to the idea that it was abit 'jumpy' from tip to tip-i do get the idea of cramming the info in but i think its such a gem of an idea...and a timely one at that....that it could well make a great series giving each family abit more time to share their ideas-thats what makes MSE so great for me,i can flick through and read all the different topics and tips that interest me and relate to my family,infact i found the OS thread by accident (well nosiness....i hadnt popped into that thread coz i thought it didnt apply to me.....WRONG!!!) and now i batch cook,sew things,make gel smellies,use a slow cooker,make bean can christmas cakes,use vinegar like its the 8th wonder of the world.....and im a 29yr old mum of 3 young girls not exactly a candidate for OS (i really didnt think it would apply to our family as no-ones ever shown me how to 'make do and mend' so im glad to eat my hat and say thank you OS'ers!!) ITS SAVED ME FORTUNES..and gives me a sense of motherly pride money couldnt buy when ive spent a day filling my freezer with homemade chicken kievs and have a double batch of twinks honobs ready for the girls comming out of school:D
    Ive waffled,i know,but im passionate about getting the message out to younger families that we waste too much and shows like this can really educate in an exciting way,Martin you know what makes a good show,i hope you agree and push for a series-how about ditching ITV and getting a slot on the one show on BBC...then doing a spin off once you get everyone hooked ( rouge traders,watchdog...MSE A'n'E,lol)
    well done everyone.............lets have a series :beer:
    xxxlaura

GOOD FOR YOU, HAPPYMUMMY 24-7. I am shocked at the amount of sheer rubbish in some of the young mum's shopping trollies at the supermarket - my daughter-in-law's is no exception.. Its refreshing to know that you bake, sew and use white vinegar too......nothing beats home made and that motherly pride.
    SallyD
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides