»

Oops Any Vinegar Experts Out There

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Oops Any Vinegar Experts Out There

edited 20 October 2009 at 7:07PM in Old Style MoneySaving
22 replies 12.2K views
WooflesWoofles Forumite
1.2K posts
edited 20 October 2009 at 7:07PM in Old Style MoneySaving
Did an online shop with Sainsburys for the first time (I normally use Tesco) and have mistakenly bought a 1 lt jar of spiced pickling vinegar.:o

Have opened it and smelled it and it just smells like ordinary vinegar to me, the smell of which I'm not too fond of. Is there anything I can do with it apart from pickling. I do use vinegar as a descaler around taps, but that's just a dab or two on some cotton wool.

Its in a very nice tall glass jar, which will be a nice storage container eventually, if I ever live long enough to use it all up.

:rotfl:[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Woofles you need to get out of that house. You are going insane:eek: - colinw

apologises for spelling mistakes - google toolbar and I have had a hissy fit and I've lost me spell checker.

Replies

• It's just ordinary distilled malt vinegar, but infused with spices like cloves and coriander. Did you mean to buy vinegar at all, or were you after something totally different?

How about looking at the chutney thread for inspiration? ;)
  • WooflesWoofles Forumite
    1.2K posts
    It's white pickling vinegar, doesn't actualy say what spices are in there.
    I did wonder if I boiled it if that would get rid of them.

I don't fancy spiced knickers.:rotfl:

apologises for spelling mistakes - google toolbar and I have had a hissy fit and I've lost me spell checker.
  • Woofles wrote: »

I don't fancy spiced knickers.:rotfl:

Your other half might like it heheh :P
    :D *If you like the advice I give...let me know by clicking the THANKS button* :D
  • Woofles wrote: »
    Did an online shop with Sainsburys for the first time (I normally use Tesco) and have mistakenly bought a 1 lt jar of spiced pickling vinegar.:o

oooooo thank goodness I'm NOT the only one then :o. I spotted a HUGE jar of Sarsons white vinegar that worked out cheaper than Asda's own brand white vinegar so bought that :). Got it home and it's Pickling Vinegar - so many thanks, Woofles, for asking the question for me ;).
  • *Maya**Maya* Forumite
    317 posts
    No need with boiling it, it works the same as ordinary white vinegar. Dont mind the spices, they make no difference to the smell of your knicks. :D:eek:
    :)
  • WooflesWoofles Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Just a warning for anyone reading this thread, please be aware that pickling vinegar is stronger than normal vinegar.

• hannah899hannah899 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    You could always use it for cleaning as well. I found it works really well for cleaning the everything in the bathroom from the bath to the windows.
    Also another one is wasp stings. There are some other unpleasent ones like a equal mixture of vineger and honey and mix till dissolved to cut through phlyemn. It also kills weeds to name but a few. My nan always says its great for poaching eggs.

Hope this helps :)
    it might not be much, but its better than a kick in the teeth:rotfl:

2010 WINS: £80 SURESWEEPSTAKE, 2 FLIP MINO HD CAMCORDERS, TRIUPH CRYING WOMEN LINGERIE, TOY STORY3 LOTSO TEDDY BEAR, £150 BERRYS VOUCHER, XBOX 36O WITH KINECT
  • OlliebeakOlliebeak Forumite
    3.2K posts
    I did specifically buy mine for cleaning with - when I saw the difference in the price, I couldn't resist it.

I might take some out of the jar, pickle some eggs for Christmas using the jar and, and then put the reminder in a spray bottle for cleaning with :grin:.
  • pickled eggs...:eek:, I had a nasty over-indulgence experience with them few years ago, and cannot even look at them now:o
    keep smiling,
    chinagirl x
  • Anyone living near a chinese food supplier can pick up a gallon of White Vinegar for about £1.50 !!!!!! I get mine from Loon Fung Hong but also could try Asian Food Stores.
    SallyD