Asylum Seekers claim £25 quid a week pocket money

Asylum Seekers claim £25 quid a week pocket money
Asylum Seekers £25 quid a week .Disgrace !!
By TOM WELLS

TEENAGE asylum seekers are being given £25 a week "pocket money" - to help them learn to use British currency.
The handouts - paid for by taxpayers - are doled out to youngsters every Friday night.

Council bosses say the cash helps teach teenagers to shop for food and live on a budget.

But they are ALREADY fed and housed free at an "induction centre" run by Kent County Council.

A council insider said: "They get £25 handed to them in a brown envelope while everyone else is fighting to stay afloat. It's a disgrace."

The asylum seekers are aged 16 to 18 and many of them come from Iraq and Afghanistan.

The council decided in July to increase their payments from £10 to £25, even though it is struggling to reclaim £50million in investments in failed Icelandic banks. A centre source said: "The asylum seekers can't wait to get their cash and go out and spend it on things like cigarettes.

"If that's learning to use our currency they're getting very good at it."

The council said the money was claimed back from the Home Office, adding: "We are a gateway authority to Europe.

"Young people depend on us for support and they need to be taught to lead independent lives."

Replies

• AnxiousMumAnxiousMum Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Meanwhile, many kids aged 16-18 who are being paid to go to school, are using thier £30 per week on cigarettes and alcohol courtesy of the taxpayer as well. There are of course a few, who are using it as it was intended.......so is one payment to youth better than the other?
    I've got as much problem with the misspent EMA money as I do with the above...My kids in a family where both parents work don't get £25 or £30 a week.....that'd be £150 per week......remind me why we work again?
  • AnxiousMum wrote: »
    Meanwhile, many kids aged 16-18 who are being paid to go to school, are using thier £30 per week on cigarettes and alcohol courtesy of the taxpayer as well. There are of course a few, who are using it as it was intended.......so is one payment to youth better than the other?
    I've got as much problem with the misspent EMA money as I do with the above...My kids in a family where both parents work don't get £25 or £30 a week.....that'd be £150 per week......remind me why we work again?

I think it is easier and right to justify payment of EMA.
    It is when we are giving it to our own as why should we be paying for some other country's cast offs.
    I see no problem helping our own kids out (don't have anyone gets EMA by the way) but not for being responsible for those who should'nt be our responsibility.
  • What a joke....You work and you get !!!!!! all help. Sit on your backside all day get p1$$ed and get a hand out.
  • BargainGaloreBargainGalore Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are also many parents who work but dont get paid enough and want there kids to do well at school so that they dont have to live on minimum wage so break the cycle of poverty

I think its far more that a few using it as intended for granted there are some who are wasting it or parents who are cheating the system so as to get EMA
    AnxiousMum wrote: »
  • No wonder so many want to come to Britain, we hand out everything to so called asylum seekers and leave our own vulnerable people to face poverty.
    Mortgage Free in 3-T2 : Started at £151,000 Nov. 2009 Mortgage Free Oct 1st 2015 :)
  • ErrataErrata Forumite
    38.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the pigging hell has this racist rubbish got to do with Lewis's TV appearances ?

Get a grip !
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • I agree with AnxiousMum, both of these payments are unfair.

Being at college and having to get a weekend job so you don't have to ask your parents for money when other students are having £30 a week put straight into their bank accounts made me incredibly bitter. Why should I be punished because my parents work hard?

:( Give it to everyone or no one.
  • Errata wrote: »
    What the pigging hell has this racist rubbish got to do with Lewis's TV appearances ?

Get a grip !

I agree, entirely racist against British people who are banned from getting £25 a week pocket money!
  • From The Sun :rolleyes: enough said
    *SIGH*
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides