We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

I shopped but Now I've Dropped

I bought a lovely digital camera yesterday from Jessops (bl**dy Jessops) and was very happy, the price was £3 off the net price so very happy indeed. HOWEVER..... I was caught off guard when salesmen said he very much advises that I buy a 256 xd memory card for £38.99!! Like a fool I said yes and went off to play with my new toy.

I just searched for the best price on the net and the reult was...........£13 inc delivery!!! i could have bought a 1gb card for £29 or so. I know I have myself to blame but the question is.... Can I take it back? get some kind of redemption? a price match?

any ideas?

Needless to say...always check the shop bots!!

Comments

  • sloth
    sloth Posts: 453 Forumite
    I bought a lovely digital camera yesterday from Jessops (bl**dy Jessops) and was very happy, the price was £3 off the net price so very happy indeed. HOWEVER..... I was caught off guard when salesmen said he very much advises that I buy a 256 xd memory card for £38.99!! Like a fool I said yes and went off to play with my new toy.

    I just searched for the best price on the net and the reult was...........£13 inc delivery!!! i could have bought a 1gb card for £29 or so. I know I have myself to blame but the question is.... Can I take it back? get some kind of redemption? a price match?

    any ideas?

    Needless to say...always check the shop bots!!

    if you only bought it yesterday you can take it back for a refund saying you have changed your mind. however i would do it sooner rather than later
  • HankMcSpank
    HankMcSpank Posts: 951 Forumite
    A bit like a restaurant that tempts you in with cheap food & then clatters you with the cost of drinks eh?

    If you've opened it (which i guess you have), I reckon you're gonna have a fight on your hands. If they won't refund, then erhmm .....make *sure* it develops a later this week & *then* ask for your money back.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    High street memory cards are always expensive, always check about online for cheapest prices, always always.

    As already suggested I would take it back and ask for a refund. Jessops are unlikely to pricematch on a memory card I think, so i's just easier if you can get your money back, order online and have one drop on your doormat. You could use an excuse like you didn't realise they were the same cards as your previous camera and you already have some and don't need any more.

    The other option, I would not advise, is to make the card develop a fault by putting magnets on it, running 9 volt battery terminals across the connectors on the memory card, I dunno if microwaving it a couple of seconds would also kill it (it may also leave obvious signs of intentional damage however). But taking it back with a fault may lead to a "we can only give a replacement" sort of claim. I would certainly not try put the card back in the camera after messing with it though so dunno how you'd verify it was broken lol.

    I can't imagine Jessops would turn you down for a refund though (based on the image they try to project in their brochures etc) so would try that first. But if you go twice I would ty make sure you see a different person each time.
  • LEE69 wrote:

    Lee, the above quote refers to online purchases, this would be covered by the distance selling act anyway, whereby you can simply change your mind. Buying said goods over the counter in a store is a different story and Jessops do not have to refund or replace IMO.
  • comicmankev
    comicmankev Posts: 1,597
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you damamge it or it is returned as damaged then they will ONLY OFFER A REPLACEMENT
  • balt
    balt Posts: 308 Forumite
    I bought a camera from Jessops store who tried to sell me a mem card and they said that both were covered by a 30 day return even if used! Needless to say I bought the 1Gb card online because of price.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.