We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Unemployment getting me down

Options
:hello:

I am feeling very :mad: about being unemployed its coming up for a year for me and Im trying not to let it get to me but today it has, had another no thank you email for a job a applied for.

I was wondering:
how long has everyone else been out of work?
how do you cope with it?
how old are you?

I talk to friends and they say that I am not the only 1 who is in my position and something will come up soon.

I am waiting for a crb check to go through so then I can start some volunteering other then that I feel like I'm going nuts!

Comments

• TEDDYRUKSPIN
    Options
    ALOT of people are at the same point in life. Have you thought about trying to do some part-time / evening classes to umph your cv? Make it good? Open university?

Move to another city?

Alot or Everyone is in the same boat!
    Motto: 'If you don't ask, you don't get!!'

Remember to say thank you to people who help you out!

Also, thank you to people who help me out.
  • louloubelle76
    Options
    ALOT of people are at the same point in life. Have you thought about trying to do some part-time / evening classes to umph your cv? Make it good? Open university?

Move to another city?

I am applying for part time work aswell as full time, as for evening classes I am unable to pay for these as im also paying of debts aswell as living on job seekers which does not leave me much left over, I have asked about courses at my job centre but they are very unhelpful
  • loisa
    loisa Posts: 212 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2009 at 12:34PM
    Options
    Voluntary work should make you feel better. It will help you to fill any gaps on your cv and it's a good answer to the 'What do you do?' question.
    Part time courses are good too. I do a word processing course a couple of evenings a week and actually find it quite relaxing to have something to focus your mind on. And again it's good for the cv.

Even with all the things I'm trying to fill my life with I still get down, it's nomal!

I think it's really important to make time for yourself. At one time, I felt guilty if I wasn't job hunting 24/7 but I almost drove myself (and everyone around me) crazy with it. At the end of the day, it's your life you should do whatever makes you happy. Go for a walk, read a book, visit friends etc.

I know it sounds silly, but I feel better sometimes when I put on my nice clothes and makeup even if I don't have anywhere special to go. It makes me feel more confident and reminds me that I am still the same person.

I know you've heard it before but keep your chin up and keep looking forward instead of dwelling on things that have happened.
  • louloubelle76
    Options
    Thanks Loisa I have been doing the same putting on my nice clothes and slapping on the make up, I was doing ok up until day with yet again another knock back with a job.

Oh well just have to keep on swimming with it all
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    I am applying for part time work aswell as full time, as for evening classes I am unable to pay for these as im also paying of debts aswell as living on job seekers which does not leave me much left over, I have asked about courses at my job centre but they are very unhelpful

keep on at the job centre, not all courses are free but they have a decent % off.

I was made redundant in March, bounced around a few employment agencies and was only really ever out of work for a few weeks until i got my current job in September. (im 25 btw)

We (as a household) are extremely lucky tho - rent etc isnt alot of money, i go on old style money savers for reciepes and was to save, OH has a decent job so his wages cover us. He does have debts of £17k (was £34k) and we set up our own payment plans with them and currently pay £200 a month out - they arent all happy about it but tough!

Keep trying - You'll get there x
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options
    :hello:

I am feeling very :mad: about being unemployed its coming up for a year for me and Im trying not to let it get to me but today it has, had another no thank you email for a job a applied for.

I was wondering:
    how long has everyone else been out of work?
    how do you cope with it?
    how old are you?

I talk to friends and they say that I am not the only 1 who is in my position and something will come up soon.

I am waiting for a crb check to go through so then I can start some volunteering other then that I feel like I'm going nuts!

tbh it dosent bother me. You only have to listen to other peoples moans about work or stressful days to know it isnt all its cracked up to be.
    :footie:
  • TEDDYRUKSPIN
    Options

Job centres are useless. They are there to get people off benefits! LOL.

Many people here have so much experience. You can get a professional development loan if you want to - to study certain courses.

Some night evening courses are actually discounted or free in certain colleges. Example was the electrician course which was almost free. You still have to pay the admin fee of £85.

Certain GCSE's and A-levels can be free also. You just have to ask. Phone up the college and explain the situation. Tell them you are trying to get back on track.

Once again - many executives etc are fighting for a temp sales assistant job. The world has gone crazy.
    Motto: 'If you don't ask, you don't get!!'

Remember to say thank you to people who help you out!

Also, thank you to people who help me out.
  • louloubelle76
    Options
    Just had a look on my local college website and they have a course for free for unemployed people to gain qualifactions so will ask next time I sign on thats what the website has said to do.

Im sure something will come up but just scared as what hothothot said that a year break on my cv doesnt look good.
  • loisa
    loisa Posts: 212 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Loisa I have been doing the same putting on my nice clothes and slapping on the make up, I was doing ok up until day with yet again another knock back with a job.

Oh well just have to keep on swimming with it all

Rejections are never nice. Even if it's a rubbish job it feels like a kick in the teeth.

I deal with it by trying to think of a couple of things I would not have enjoyed about the job. You don't have to look very far on here to read horror stories about companies! Don't get me wrong, I know a job is a job but they say everything happens for a reason.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport