We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Career Development Loans

Options
Hi guys,

Im looking to do a course ( either 8 or 12 weeks ) in barbering and have found a place that is on the CDL list i was just unsure about a few things?

Am i likley to get turned down if i have bad credit? is it a easy process to apply? are there other options for the same kinda thing?

Ill prob work PT while i do the course just to survive as it wont be forever and will be worth while in the end. Just thought i would post here and see if people have any advice or suggestions on how best to approach these

Many thanks in advance guys! <3

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    CDL's do involve a credit check, so a poor credit history would go against you.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • flightboy
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    CDL's do involve a credit check, so a poor credit history would go against you.

Wow that was fast! and i have a CCJ so i wont fancy my chances much :( maybe not worth applying atall?
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Repayments on CDLs start almost immediately after you finish the course, regardless of your financial and employment situation, so this may be an additional problem for you.

If you're on means tested benefits you might find that your local college will waive fees.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Do you bank with one of the banks that offers CDL's? If so, if you have banked with them for a long time and your account is in a much better state than it was, you may still be successful. If not, I would question whether it is worth applying.

I would also agree with ONW, you need to be certain that you can start repaying the loan soon after graduation.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • flightboy
    flightboy Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    Do you bank with one of the banks that offers CDL's? If so, if you have banked with them for a long time and your account is in a much better state than it was, you may still be successful. If not, I would question whether it is worth applying.

I would also agree with ONW, you need to be certain that you can start repaying the loan soon after graduation.

I have some work ( tho PT ) to fall back on if i didnt, and typically i have a long standing bank account...... with lloyds which has always been in good standing but no good here! maybe ill find a PT job and just save up the cash if all else fails, a few months of no money is better than years i guess :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport