What would you do?

Options
pineapple
pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 9 October 2009 at 11:21AM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Just gone on to JSA after losing job + just put in request for help with council tax. Got several long term job apps underway.
An agency has offered me 5 weeks work at £9 an hour but starting with a weeks trial placement next week!

Cons
I feel uncomfortable with the area and the client group.
It is so short and I would have to start the JSA process etc all over again at the end
In fact I could be out in a week and still be in the same position as above
It is not an area of work I would want to stay in if something permanent came up
I am already battling against the clock to get the 'proper' job apps in - as well as trying to get a potential business off the ground.
Being in a fairly low level position might jeopardize the current apps.

Pros
Some extra cash
Always good to apply for jobs from a position of being in employment

What would you do?

Comments

• SueC_2
    SueC_2 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd accept the job. Any job is better than no job. It may not be your ideal job, but who knows what it may lead into. It is through an agency, if you turn it down they will think you're not interested, and may stop putting you forward for other positions. If you do the job and do it well, either the company or the agency may well offer you something better afterwards. Your CV will look far better the fewer employment gaps it shows. Having a 'lower' position shouldn't affect future positions so long as your previous roles are of your 'normal' level and you have an explanation. Any future employer worth their salt will respect your flexibility and desire to work.

Explain the situation to the Job Centre. They may well be able to put your existing application on hold so that you don't have to start it all over again at the end of the week / five weeks. Given that it's a temporary position, they may even be able to continue processing your application for JSA, but make a zero payment to you for the weeks that you are working.
  • worrieddan_2
    Options
    It's a very tough decision.Basically you could sign off and be left with nothing after the trial and then you have lost a week/2 weeks worth of benefit.I personally would not take it as it's safer and a more guranteed income on JSA,every time you sign on it's a good 3 weeks before you get any cash so you could sign off not get the position and then sign back on an all in that's what 5 weeks of no money.

Just be pacient and a proper job will come up. :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport