Frozen turkeys

Options
Frozen turkeys at my local Tesco were £50 last week. I suspect this may be so they can soon advertise them as special offer - reduced by more than half price.
I tried looking online at mysupermarket, Tesco and Sainsbury's, but haven't found any frozen whole turkeys for sale to check prices. Does anyone know if there's a reason why this could be a genuine price for turkeys at the moment?

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,928 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Arthurian wrote: »
    Frozen turkeys at my local Tesco were £50 last week. I suspect this may be so they can soon advertise them as special offer - reduced by more than half price.
    I tried looking online at mysupermarket, Tesco and Sainsbury's, but haven't found any frozen whole turkeys for sale to check prices. Does anyone know if there's a reason why this could be a genuine price for turkeys at the moment?

I get a fresh turkey every year from my butchers and its never been under £50
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mmcourt
    mmcourt Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Ya just thought I would let you know. The frozen turkys in my local tesco were ranging from £12.00 for one to feed 4-6 people, £15.00 to feed 6-10 people and £20 to feed 12-16 people.

I forgot, they are Bernard Mathews.
    Winnings 2009: Rimmel Pro Lycra Nail Polish.
    Mars Football, A Crunchie Bar
  • borders_dude
    borders_dude Posts: 1,974 Forumite
    Options
    I want goose this year! wont be cheap but worth the treat!
    When dealing with the CSA its important to note that it is commonly accepted as unfit for purpose, and by default this also means the staff are unfit for purpose.
  • wendyh
    wendyh Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought a Bernard Matthews frozen one last year and it was horrible. It was all sinewy and dry yuck. I don't think I'll buy his again this year.
  • Princess_Coupon
    Options
    Aldi have their crowns in £8.99 and are delish, they sell out quick though
    AKA: PC

Rest in Peace Fred the Maddest Muppet in Heaven :heart:
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think that £50 is a lot when the turkey isn't even free-range or a named breed
  • Arthurian
    Arthurian Posts: 798 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The same turkeys were, indeed, half price the next week.
  • ClaireLR
    ClaireLR Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I want goose this year! wont be cheap but worth the treat!

Try Lidl, we had frozen goose crown last year (just two of us here) and it was lovely!
    Sometimes you have to go through
    the rain to get to the
    rainbow
  • safesound
    safesound Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Options
    Last year I decided to buy locally and found a farm that supplies one of the big brands but was willing to sell to me directly. The website I used was here: http://www.ukturkeys.co.uk/
    Lovely fresh turkey at a great price, the only downside being that I had to go to the farm to get it on Xmas eve.
    :A:A:A:A:A:A
  • Bens_Mom
    Bens_Mom Posts: 180 Forumite
    Options
    I would never buy a frozen turkey - especially from TESCO again, Last year we have to scavenge meat from family and friends as christmas eve came and the turkey had maggots on it once it has thawed out, On taking it back to TESCO when they opened after boxing day, there was at least 4 ppl in front of me with the same complaint - apparently the chillers and freezers had gone down yet they still sold the turkeys knowing what COULD happen...
    This year I am looking into a fresh one but have no idea yet how much it may cost for a 6kg turkey... Any ideas??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure