We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

LEP (Local Employment Partnership) vacancies at Jobcentre

Options
Can anyone explain what the LEP (Local Employment Partnership) vacancies are at the Jobcentre who really knows.

Loads of vacancies at JC+ say at top of vacancy:
"This Local Employment Partnership employer shares information about new starters with Jobcentre Plus, for statistical purposes. See https://www.dwp.gov.uk for more information"

There is no information on JC+ website about LEP vacancies, even though many vacancies are LEP vacancies. Can't find any information on massive DWP website.

If you ask anyone at the Jobcentre they don't really know much & fob you off.

Comments

• dugdale_2
    dugdale_2 Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    LEP vacancies used to be only available to people who had been unemployed for (I believe) 6 months but are now open to all jobseekers.
    Employers who sign up as LEPs agree not to discriminate against unemployed people when it comes to recruiting new staff.

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/jcp/Employers/lep/
  • RandomJaffa
    Options
    As dugdale said, a LEP employer is one who has agreed with Jobcentre Plus to actively recruit disadvantaged people to their workforce. The first example of this I can think of would be Royal Mail and their christmas recruitment this year. Royal Mail are a LEP employer and they have agreed to give Jobcentre Plus customers (i.e. the unemployed) priority access to all their christmas vacancies.
    Another aspect of LEP is 'local jobs for local people'. For example, if a new Tesco store opened down the road from you, they would agree to recruit say 40% (just for example) of the staff from the immediate local area, and (again, for example) 20% of them might be long term unemployed.
    LEP can also involve employers who are interested in Work Trials, Recruitment Subsidies, Work Placements etc etc.
  • shikoku
    shikoku Posts: 671 Forumite
    Options
    The employers get paid for doing this.
    ~*~ If you don't need it, it isn't a bargain ~*~
  • RandomJaffa
    Options
    Not that I'm aware of. :confused:
    LEP itself is a very simple agreement, which is basically an employer agreeing to be socially responsible in the way they recruit their staff. It's then up to the Jobcentre to make sure that their customers are work ready. Offices 'convert' employers to LEP all the time and the employers don't get a penny for doing so.
    There are ways in which employers can see financial benefit, via Recruitment Subsidies, Work Trials, Subsidised Training etc. LEP itself doesn't carry any financial incentive.
    shikoku wrote: »
    The employers get paid for doing this.
  • john539
    john539 Posts: 16,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But the job vacancies say LEP employers share information.

What's this about, what's it for ?

It looks like a scam in that many employers & vacancies are almost routinely LEP, but is there any real substance behind it ?

How does it affect the Jobseeker ?

Are there any JC staff who know ?
  • busy_mom_2
    busy_mom_2 Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    john539 wrote: »
    But the job vacancies say LEP employers share information.

What's this about, what's it for ?

It looks like a scam in that many employers & vacancies are almost routinely LEP, but is there any real substance behind it ?

How does it affect the Jobseeker ?

Are there any JC staff who know ?

There is no scam. the information they share is purely names of people they have employed.

the only effect on the jobseeker a chance to get a job.
  • john539
    john539 Posts: 16,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    busy_mom wrote: »
    There is no scam. the information they share is purely names of people they have employed.

the only effect on the jobseeker a chance to get a job.
    I thought it was statistical.

What made me think is this post here in the DWP Waiting List thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=25646823&postcount=5200
    There are varying targets, but most of them relate to job submissions & provision (other companies we work with to provide help to jobseekers) You are targeted on how many customers you submit to provision, and score 'points' on how many customers you have submitted to LEP (local employment partnership) vacancies that have since signed off through getting that position.

There seems more to this LEP scheme than meets the eye.
  • busy_mom_2
    busy_mom_2 Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    john539 wrote: »
    I thought it was statistical.

What made me think is this post here in the DWP Waiting List thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=25646823&postcount=5200

There seems more to this LEP scheme than meets the eye.

We have several hundred more targets, leps are the least of our worries at the moment. You meet 1 target you miss another, next mnth all change. Jobcentre is very target driven but no bonus if you achieve them.

But no not more to it, sorry nothing being hidden.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport