Wrong tax code??

Options
Hi there,

Just been having a look at my payslip and tax codes etc and noticed I am on tax code "BR". I have never been sure about tax codes so thought I'd find out if I am on the right tax code. From what I have read it looks like this tax code is for people who have a second income or are drawing a pension, I am doing neither.

Am I right in thinking that if I do not have a second job or drawing a pension I should be on a "647L" tax code or similar?

I have been earning £15k a year for the past 20 odd months in this job and using a tax calculator it looks like I might have been paying a lot more than I should have?!?!?!?!?

Has anyone got any advice or tips? I am ringing my local tax office as soon as they open tomorrow!!!

Comments

• PlutoinCapricorn
    Options
    When you started this job, did you give them your P45 or did you fill in a P46?

647L is the basic tax code, I would expect you to have this, BR often applies to a second job.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• Liam1983
    Options
    When you started this job, did you give them your P45 or did you fill in a P46?

647L is the basic tax code, I would expect you to have this, BR often applies to a second job.

To be honest with you I can't remember what, if any, documents I gave to them when I started there. It was December 2007 when I started! I can't imagine not at least filling out a P46 when I started.
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    Options
    You could ask your payroll/HR people why you are BR not 647L before contacting HMRC. It does seem that you might be due a refund.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• Liam1983
    Options
    I'm planning on doing that. I'm keen to make sure that they change my tax code from now on!
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you have your P60 from April? You might want to check that too.
  • Liam1983
    Options
    Yeah, just found that. I've also found payslips going back to when I started (Dec 07) which shows I was on tax code BR from the very start. It looks like I've been paying £100 more a month in tax more than I should have been.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ok its the P60s you need, not anything else.

Ok so you should have 2 P60s, one for tax year 07/08, and one for 08/09.

In tax year 07/08 did you have a job before? (before December 2007)
  • Liam1983
    Options
    I've found the payslips I had for the job before this one and they show (I think) 522L. It's only been since I started at my current place that it's changed. I'm going to talk to payroll tomorrow and see if I can find my P60 for 07/08.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure