ice cream maker

Options
HI, im not sure if this has been asked, i cant find it anywhere, apologises if it has.

I am thinking of buying an icecream maker,

Are they worth it, or will it end up in the cupboard with the bread maker, popcorn maker, electric juicer??

If they are worth the money, can anyone recommend any that are good value?
i want to experiment with different flavours, but i dont know how cost effective it would really be.

Comments

• Jem8472
    Jem8472 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Options
    I had one years and years ago, As a kid I had eczema that was set off by cows milk. So my grandma bought me an ice cream maker and we used to use goats milk to make ice cream.

It worked well, it was only a basic one. You but the base in the freezer put the paddle in the top on and turn it on then pour in the mixture. I am sure they are more fancy now.

I used it for a long time, but I suspect that if I had not had eczema then I prob would have given up long before.

I would suggest head to some car boots and see if you can pick one up really cheap so if it does end up in the cupboard it will have only cost you a could of quid.

Also if you dont mind some alcohol in your icecream there is a good Nigella recipe for making icecream.
    Jeremy
    Married 9th May 2009
  • kaj70
    kaj70 Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    ohhh alcohol.. i dont mind a glass or two, some nice baileys and white chocolate icecream or something sounds lovely. i do love gadgets, but they do get old so quickly.

i will look at the car boot, and perhaps the ad's in the local paper

thankyou :)
  • IHateDida
    IHateDida Posts: 1,670 Forumite
    Options
    kaj70 wrote: »
    HI, im not sure if this has been asked, i cant find it anywhere, apologises if it has.

I am thinking of buying an icecream maker,

Are they worth it, or will it end up in the cupboard with the bread maker, popcorn maker, electric juicer??

If they are worth the money, can anyone recommend any that are good value?
    i want to experiment with different flavours, but i dont know how cost effective it would really be.

Depends on what type you are going to buy - a cheap one where you have to freeze the bowl and then it slowly scrapes off the frozen bits until it starts to freeze and get thicker then you have to freeze it (approx £20-£30). Or the ones that freeze as you go along (£100+).

I have the former (the cheapo one) and its joined the electrical gadget graveyard under the sink! Actually it does still occasionally come out - about once a year - I'd probably use it more if I didn't have to freeze the bowl for 8 hours beforehand (doesn't really lend well for last minute impulse making sessions!!!).

It does work though....when I can be bothered!!!! :rotfl:
  • kaj70
    Options
    lol, that sounds like me, it is a great idea, but can i be bothered. i may look on freecycle and see if anyone had an old one they no longer need first, before i pay out for one :)
  • bbr92
    bbr92 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    I use to have one that required the whole bowl to be frozen which took up quite a bit of space in the freezer so you had to remember to put it in 8 hours before you wanted it, it then cracked so was useless.
    I bought a new one that has a small disk at the base that comes out and fits neatly in the freezer works so much better as well so I would recomend one like this is you buy a new one.
  • kaj70
    Options
    thankyou.. what was the newer one that you bought?? was it expensive :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure