PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

fabric softener

Options

Comments

• Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To be honest, I just use ordinary cheapo brown malt vinegar, no oils or anything else & it works just fine (before anyone asks, it doesn't stain, smell like a chip shop or anything else wierd like that!)
    The vinegar acts as a rinsing agent and gets rid of the excess soap powder that causes stiff clothes.
  • halloweenqueen_2
    halloweenqueen_2 Posts: 3,312 Forumite
    Options
    I may try that as well as I have a load of cheapo ,brown malt vinegar and need to get rid of it!
  • Miss-spent_2
    Miss-spent_2 Posts: 572 Forumite
    Options
    Where do you get essential oils from please?
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Miss-spent wrote:
    Where do you get essential oils from please?

Try Holland & Barratt just now, they have one of those half price or less sales on - think their lavender EO is included if you want that one.
    Other than that, check out chemist, local health shops. Used to have a great supplier on the internet, but they seem to have disappeared now, so have just been buying locally.

Regarding using ordinary brown malt vinegar as a fabric conditioner. Have always resisted the temptation to use in the wash, just in case it stains clothing, but going to give it a try, at least on the dark washes anyway. Got a 500ml bottle for 17p (I think) in Lidl, so if it works then will be much cheaper than using clear distilled vinegar.
  • halloweenqueen_2
    halloweenqueen_2 Posts: 3,312 Forumite
    Options
    I made a batch of the fabric softener but have ow found I hate the smell of lavender! Gave it a good home and will be using a different EO, but it worked very well!
  • frizz_head
    frizz_head Posts: 7,339 Forumite
    Options
    As mentioned earlier, the white vinegar is great for cleaning a gunky soap drawer, and makes the inside of the machine sparkle! :D
    Only 5% of those who can give blood, actually do!
    Do Something Amazing Today.
    Save a Life - Give Blood.:A
    20 pints donated! :j:j
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I kept forgetting the essential oils in my rinse cycle, despite using vinegar for months now. I remembered and used lavinder today. My clothes smell lovely.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • buxtonrabbitgreen
    Options
    I read on one of thewe posts (cant find it now) that you can use vinegar for fabric conditioner. What sort of venegar is it?. Doesnt it make your clothes smell.? And do you put is in the conditoner dept of the washing machine. Tankyou:confused:
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Vinegar - a lot of people use white vinegar but I use ordinary value malt vinegar now as I can't get hold of large quantities of white. It doesn't stain whites as you use so little per wash.

Yes - it goes into the fabric conditioner drawer of the machine - I use a couple of tbsp. per load.

Your clothes may initially smell a little of vinegar, but if it does, it goes within minutes of taking it out of the machine.

Also, the vinegar keeps your machine clean, sparkly and smelling fresh :D
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi buxtonrabbitgreen,

We have a very recent thread on this subject so I have merged your thread with it as it makes it easier for Old Style reader to find all the replies together. As always, the posts are listed in date order so you'll have to read from the beginning to see all the replies.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport