free from your council!

Options
first ever post!
our local council tip (Lincoln City) now runs a scheme where for every load of green waste you take to them (garden waste) you get a voucher - 3 vouchers and you get a free bag of compost. i dont have many reasons to praise the council tip - most of the time the place is a nightmare! but thats another post.

Comments

• quickstepqueen
    Options
    Ooh I wonder if East Lindsey will do that johnlincoln. Finally, at the beginning of next month we will get a kerbside recycling collection!!!! They will be delivering 3 wheelie bins in the very near future...one of which will be for garden waste. I do have 2 compost bins but they soon get full. Can you tell me johnlincoln what you are/aren't allowed to put in your garden waste?

My only concern might be if people who aren't so conscientious put anything into the garden waste bins (like nasty weeds!) which I would then get passed down into my council compost. Have you had any of the council compost? is it any good?
  • tiptoes
    tiptoes Posts: 386 Forumite
    Options
    Liverpool council giving away free compost all this week, some sort of promotion for compost week:confused:
    GC: £400/ £0
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    Ooh I wonder if East Lindsey will do that johnlincoln. Finally, at the beginning of next month we will get a kerbside recycling collection!!!! They will be delivering 3 wheelie bins in the very near future...one of which will be for garden waste. I do have 2 compost bins but they soon get full. Can you tell me johnlincoln what you are/aren't allowed to put in your garden waste?

My only concern might be if people who aren't so conscientious put anything into the garden waste bins (like nasty weeds!) which I would then get passed down into my council compost. Have you had any of the council compost? is it any good?

Im in North Kesteven we have had 3 bins for quite a while now and it works really well.

Green Bin - Recyclables + Glass, cardboard, papers, carrier bags etc etc
    Brown Bin - Garden waste, grass,small woody material + veg peelings,
    Black Bin - Anthing that cant go into the above

We get them emptied every 2 weeks.
  • mrsn_2
    mrsn_2 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Im in East Lindsey and looking forward to this new 3 bin system -

They have delivered to my nearest village, but not to us on the outskirts - hope they havn't forgotton me !!
  • janebrain
    janebrain Posts: 90 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    free compost at Purley Oaks recycling centre (Croydon) too. I think you have to take your own bags and there's a limit of 3 bags per visit.
  • sparkle197828
    sparkle197828 Posts: 163 Forumite
    Options
    we have to pay 36 pounds a year to have a brown bin! :) so instead we have a compost area at the top of the garden!
    Ignorance (harry o) It's not a lark sleeping in the park as u go walking by,Though im praying 4 my wings As u look with ur blind eye,4 who gives homes 2 garden gnomes,While their brothers & sisters cry,So give us a break 4 heaven's sake Beacause were not mad of stone,& u know the world will b a better place When every1 has a home!
  • c_smith
    c_smith Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A free bag of compost??????

Why can't they make it something worthwhile, like a free month's Council Tax?
  • quickstepqueen
    Options
    mrsn wrote:
    Im in East Lindsey and looking forward to this new 3 bin system -

They have delivered to my nearest village, but not to us on the outskirts - hope they havn't forgotton me !!

Mine have literally just arrived so ELDC are out and about!!! Will now go and read the info and see what it says. My garden has that many weeds that I'm not sure if they're classed as garden waste and I'd hate them to end up in someone elses compost - gosh they'd be really chuffed!!! lol Thanks Al mac for letting me know what your dad thought of his L.A. compost.

*Toddles off to read literature over another cuppa!*
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

Because the council will compost large quantities of material, it will give off considerable heat. This will be sufficient to kill off weed seeds and render pernicious weeds (such as dock, dandelion) inactive. These will then not be a problem in the final compost.
    :j Power to your compost heap! :j
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • quickstepqueen
    Options
    Because the council will compost large quantities of material, it will give off considerable heat. This will be sufficient to kill off weed seeds and render pernicious weeds (such as dock, dandelion) inactive. These will then not be a problem in the final compost.
    :j Power to your compost heap! :j

Thankyou Penelope Penguin. I have 2 compost bins already but they get so full so I'll see if ELDC offer such a scheme.

My wheelie bins are now in situ (gosh they take up room...but well worth it!) Am still amazed at how little plastics they can take. It seems only PET1 or HDPE2. That means all the plastic wrappings around pre-packed foods, fizzy drink bottle tops etc still have to be thrown away in the normal manner. Am disappointed but still some recycling is better than nothing.

Gotta go...thunder and lightening just started!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure