Whats the best nicoine replacement,for a light but very addicted smoker?

Options
I finally (after years of intending to!) went to see the nurse about quiting smoking,I'm meant to writting a diary of when I smoke,this week,to work out my pattern,and decide whats the best repacement method to suit me.I generaly only smoke after meals and a couple in the evening.I've been smoking since I was 14,which is more than half my life now,I must stop(but I do enjoy it).
I am drawn to the fake cigarette inhaler thing.So I can still go outside habitualy to use it.
Anyone experienced nicotine replacement?is it hard to give them up?

Comments

• Diamonds_2
    Diamonds_2 Posts: 2,580 Forumite
    Options
    Peakma wrote:
    I finally (after years of intending to!) went to see the nurse about quiting smoking,I'm meant to writting a diary of when I smoke,this week,to work out my pattern,and decide whats the best repacement method to suit me.I generaly only smoke after meals and a couple in the evening.I've been smoking since I was 14,which is more than half my life now,I must stop(but I do enjoy it).
    I am drawn to the fake cigarette inhaler thing.So I can still go outside habitualy to use it.
    Anyone experienced nicotine replacement?is it hard to give them up?

I tried the fake cigarrette a few years ago.. found it to be a bit embarassing in the office :eek: also it kinda hurts the back of your throat.. my heart wasn't really in it that time though.

I gave up on the 1st March and bought patches/nicotine gum and nicotine lozeners (can you tell how frightened I was :rotfl: ).. anyway, I used the patches for a week whilst every now and then sucking a lozenger or chewing a gum :o after the week was up I just used the gum/lozengers but I found the gum (especially the stronger ones (4mg)) gave me hiccuping frenzies!!! i now just use the lozengers and they are great.. especially the 2mg ones (the 4mg are quite strong and the 1mg a bit weak).. these do me just fine and now, after just over 2 months I'm probably using about 6 per day :D with no thought of going back to smoking.. they really take the edge off the craving... willpower is also required! :mad:

Best of luckxx
  • KathrynPenguin
    Options
    Forget the substitutes and spend just over the price of a pack of fags on a book. Allen Carr Easy Way to stop smoking. Amazon link.

I've done patches, gum, tablets, hypnotism and will power, started smoking when I was about 12, stopped 3 years ago when I finally read this book from start to finish. Keep smoking till you've read it and then you'll be ready to stop. Oh and its cheaper than all the alternatives!
    The best things in life are NOT free - but they sure are cheaper with MSE!:j
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would say don't bother looking for alternatives as such, writing a diary means you're obssessing about something.. because of smoking! and will be thinking about it all the time.

I've heard that book is good, not that I've read it.:rolleyes:
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Forget the substitutes and spend just over the price of a pack of fags on a book. Allen Carr Easy Way to stop smoking. Amazon link.

I've done patches, gum, tablets, hypnotism and will power, started smoking when I was about 12, stopped 3 years ago when I finally read this book from start to finish. Keep smoking till you've read it and then you'll be ready to stop. Oh and its cheaper than all the alternatives!

And in true Moneysaving style, pass the book on, i will have 1st go,then will pass it on, as i want to also pack up the dreaded weed.
  • Diamonds_2
    Diamonds_2 Posts: 2,580 Forumite
    Options
    I tried it but no joy :o I found it very repetitive.. alot of what he said was very good and definatley made you think but like I said, didn't work for me and I carried on smoking after reading it :o so for me, it didn't moneysave at all.. so therefore I will stick with a handful of lozengers for a while, actually, today I only had 3 or 4! I am expecting to be off them completely by the end of June at the most! :j
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Diamonds wrote:
    I will stick with a handful of lozengers for a while, actually, today I only had 3 or 4! I am expecting to be off them completely by the end of June at the most! :j

You,ll have to suck um and see;)
  • giffor
    giffor Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    ASH recommends nictine addicts to switch to smokeless yobacco: in UK that means nasal snuff.
    I did it easily in 1992 when I was smoking 50-60 cigarettes a day.
    Starting snufftaking may make you sneeze but you soon get over that.
    It is important to do it this way: Stop smoking. Whenever - and ONLY WHENEVER - the craving gets uncomfortable take a pinch of snuff. With luck you will end up free from smoking addiction and be come addicted to snuff - saving vast sume of money (Govt. abolished tobacco tax for snuff in the 80's to encourage this way oput)
    Snuff is safe because the toxins which kill are produced by incineration. Nicotine itself is pretty harmless.
    For more info go to my (non-commercial) website:
    http://www.snuffbox.org.uk
    where you will see in Guestbook messages from many who have managed to quit smoking on my advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure