Laser Eye Surgery Cost Cutting Tips

Options

Comments

• RFC1871_2
    Options
    I had the surgery by Optimax in Southampton 3yrs ago and whilst my eyesite is perfect I do suffer with dry eyes now. This does not sound too bad , however, when I am tired or have been in a dry or dusty environment my eyelids stick to the surface of my eye and tears the surface of my eye. Yes this is uncomfortable... very!!! and happens on average once a month.

I returned to optimax for about 2yrs with this problem then gave up as I was on my third "lets just try the XYZ eyedrops again" and realised that I was just going to have to live with it.

This said however my eyesite has never been better and I only know one other person who has suffered problems (Starbursting) most people I know who have had the surgery are very happy with the results.

The important question in my mind is would I have it done again....... Answer... Yes, but my friends always say I never learn from my mistakes!
  • Man-Alive
    Options
    I paid only £850 for both eyes, managed to get a 2:1 deal out of them :-)

How did you swing this deal?

I have just been quoted £1390 for Lasik treatment for both eyes + the £30 consultation fee.

Thanks Rob.
    Office Monkey
  • cmhbyandco
    Options
    Check on ebay to see if they are still doing special deals. I paid 2 for 1 also & that was through ebay.

Good Luck
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    anyone suggest where i can get any discount offer for Ultralase? I have consultation with them very soon. I dont know anyone who can get any company discount via schemes.

also having consultation with optical express and optimax.
  • gwapenut
    gwapenut Posts: 1,359 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was very interested in having this done in my mid-twenties, being -6 or so.

I was on an info list from a well known clinic, and they recommended I watch a TV program that was airing about it.

The program was basically about a fireman who was approaching his 40th birthday. He'd had ok eyesight when he became a fireman, but there is a compulsory retest at 40 and he was going to fail. Not being allowed to wear contact lenses or glasses "on the job", he was facing the sack.

I can't even remember if he did it or not, but the harrowing aprt was when he went to a doctor for a consultation who was strongly advising him not to go thru with it, saying "you're young, it's too risky for you, etc".

So I thought - he's 15 years older than me, and needs it for his job rather than cosmetic reasons, and he's getting that advice. So at that pont I decided against it.

That said ... it WAS back in the days wheh it was closer to PRK, and of course the doctor could have been scaremongering. But it was enough to put me off it while contact lenses, though inconvenient, are an option. I think only if I had to stop wearing contact lenses would I reconsider. And the older I get, the more likely I am to become long-sighted anyway.

Sorry, I'm not sure this post is particularly useful as it probs falls into the rumour and propaganda category. Just wanted to relay something which for me personaly was well and truly enough to put me off having it done.
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    anyone have any discount codes for ultralase they can offer??? been told by clinic i just need a code for them to use in order i can get a discount!
  • Man-Alive
    Options
    cmhbyandco wrote:
    Check on ebay to see if they are still doing special deals. I paid 2 for 1 also & that was through ebay.

Good Luck

I had a look on E-bay and found the ad from the Chief Exec of Opitimax - they were advertising treatmeant from £395 per eye, for short notice appointments - but they were not currently selling off any of these.
    Their website currently quotes from £595 per eye, but I had already been offered a deal of £495 per eye if I booked in a appointment for 2007 in December. Not wanting to miss out on any further savings I gave them a call & mentioned that I had seen the advert on E-bay (not mentioning that it was currently showing as none available!). With very little effort I was able to get myself moved from the £495 per eye to the E-bay price of £395 per eye.
    Result!:money:

I am off for my consultation on the 2nd of Feb & will post again after that to let you know how I get on.
    Office Monkey
  • cmhbyandco
    Options
    Great news Man-Alive..........you will not be disappointed. It has been the best decision I made. Even better with the cheap deal.

Good Luck!!
  • Man-Alive
    Options
    Quick update - had both my eyes done in Optimax in Leeds on Friday, all went well & I am back at work today.
    As stated above I had been promised a 'special offer price' for Epi-Lasek by Optimax - I used this as a bargaining point on the day as I went for a different treatment in the end (Wavefront Lasik). The girl in front of me paid £2400, after a bit of a chat with the friendly Optimax staff I paid £1480.

Result!
    PS - If anyone has any questions about my experiences just drop me a line & I will be happy to pass on what I learned.
    Office Monkey
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    can anyone tell me what happens after laser surgery.. do your eyes continue to deteriorate as before the op so that in a while you again need glasses or is this op a fix that works forever more...?
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure