Wife quit job - please help

Options
Hi there,

I'm after a bit of advice.

My wife started a job about 3 weeks ago in a small shop.

To cut a long story short she felt she was being treated unfairly - her boss went out early in the morning and said he would be back at 12pm so she could go on her break but ended up returning at 4pm, leaving her without any breaks and unable to use the loo (it was only her working there at the time).

Her boss told her that he looks at the cctv everyday to make sure the staff are doing their jobs properly.

She told him that she has plans to return up north to see her family over the xmas period but he told her she has to work.

The bosses mother and sister also belittled her in front of customers.

She quit today but is owed wages.

If he doesn't pay her is there a way for us to get the wages?

Any advice would be helpful.

Rgds
Daniel

Comments

• Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    She could take him to the small claims court - you can do this quite easily online - I think it is called Moneyclaimonline - its the small claimes court in Northampton.

Unfortunately, she hasnt been there long enough to take him to a tribunal so the small claims court is the way to go.
  • mountainofdebt
    Options
    It doesn't matter that she has been there less than a year if she wants to go to an ET for salary owed.

I was at a place for 3 weeks and had to use this method to get my salary owed to me - my case was accepted by the ET by almost return of post.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • rh41
    rh41 Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm after a bit of advice.

My wife started a job about 3 weeks ago in a small shop.

To cut a long story short she felt she was being treated unfairly - her boss went out early in the morning and said he would be back at 12pm so she could go on her break but ended up returning at 4pm, leaving her without any breaks and unable to use the loo (it was only her working there at the time).

Her boss told her that he looks at the cctv everyday to make sure the staff are doing their jobs properly.

She told him that she has plans to return up north to see her family over the xmas period but he told her she has to work.

The bosses mother and sister also belittled her in front of customers.

She quit today but is owed wages.

If he doesn't pay her is there a way for us to get the wages?

Any advice would be helpful.

Rgds
    Daniel

ET1 form for tribunal for wages. Nothing for bullying. Not enough service. Sorry. You should get wages plus a small amount extra
  • louloubelle76
    Options
    Hiya

I know she might not get all of job seekers when she sign's on because she made herself unemployed but they always ask if anyone owe's you money and she can tell them that her old employer's do, they might chase it on her behalf.
  • marvin
    marvin Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Is he registered with the Infomation Commissioner for that use of the CCTV?

I would tell her to report them to the commissioner for that matter.
    I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.
  • vij
    vij Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    did he neglect her statutory break after so many hours? Maybe this would help in claiming this as he has made unreasonable demands
  • foxy-roxy
    Options
    Also, no one should be left on their own anymore - Health and Safety risk
  • juliescot
    juliescot Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Options
    foxy-roxy wrote: »
    Also, no one should be left on their own anymore - Health and Safety risk

There are plenty of jobs where you can be left on your own.

This however may not be one of them.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,041 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    While leaving your wife unable to take a break for more than 6 hours wasn't reasonable, you must be aware that it's normal to ASK for leave from a job rather than TELL an employer you won't be working at a particular time.

If a holiday has been booked before starting a new job then a good employer would usually try to honour such a leave request, but again it's usual to ASK about this at interview rather than assume that you can take leave when you want to.

Might be worth bearing these points in mind before starting another new job, especially in retail.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport