Job seekers and going to college

Options
:hello:

Just a quick recap been out of work since Nov 08 then got a job in July 09 so signed off job seekers, bit of a bummer I then become sick and after 2 weeks off, my job sacked me because I didnt declare my illness on the application was on esa and now back on job seekers lucky enough they done a repaid reclaim for me.

My questions are if anyone could me, I'm I classed as starting from the beginning again or because it was a rapid reclaim will I be entitled to the things that people that have been out of work for 6 months get (this would be me if I hadnt signed off) I will ask them when I go next but wanted an idea if anyone on here knew?

Also would they help me if I was to go back to college?

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Options
    Were you thinking of part time of full time and at what level?
  • louloubelle76
    Options
    Hi
    thanks for your reply.

The course that I am looking at would be full time (mature student) but ive also looked on direct gov website and I could be entitled to the course free with The Learning and Skills Council, I have emailed them for further details. As for the level im unsure as I want to do a course in health and social care.

Im just worried about paying for the course and living costs soon as im out of work.
  • louloubelle76
    Options
    sorry had to bump this post up
  • DidierZokora
    Options
    Im starting a full time course and because I was on JSA only had to pay £10 for material fees.
    Just wondering though is it not a bit late to get on this year as a lot of courses around here are full up, or are you looking to next year?

Good luck. :beer:
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    edited 12 September 2009 at 10:23PM
    Options
    Hi
    thanks for your reply.

The course that I am looking at would be full time (mature student) but ive also looked on direct gov website and I could be entitled to the course free with The Learning and Skills Council, I have emailed them for further details. As for the level im unsure as I want to do a course in health and social care.

Im just worried about paying for the course and living costs soon as im out of work.

You can't claim benefits if you're a full time student, although, depending on your existing qualifications and the level of the course you're doing, you may be able to claim fees and £30 per week ALG.
  • littlepinkstars44
    Options
    my friend lost her job just before we finished college in June and has been on JSA since then.
    We started uni on Monday. And we knew we were going to be going to uni all along.
    And she told them that, and she got JSA over summer. Infact she is still getting it, she needs to phone them up once we get our loans in next week to tell them that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure