Job offered to two people

Options
I attended an interview last week, I felt it went fairly well... I applied directly (rather than via an agency) so I got an interview with no real problem.

I received an offer of employment by email and when I phoned to accept and to go over a few small concerns I was told that I was the second person to accept the offer and was given an estimated start date.
Why has this been offered to two people?
Is there that much work that two people are required?
Is it going to be a competition between us for the job?

Im a little more than concerned, I don't fare well against people who "talk the talk" (but can't walk the walk) and creep upto the bosses. I'm the sort of person who just goes to work, does a good job and cuts out all the BS.

The last place I worked, there was me doing my job, working hard and there was this other guy who was never at his desk because he was off giving pirated DVDs to the managers and generally kissing *rse all day.
I ended up worse off than him, despite doing most of his job.
“I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/

Comments

• KILL_BILL
    KILL_BILL Posts: 2,183 Forumite
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    I attended an interview last week, I felt it went fairly well... I applied directly (rather than via an agency) so I got an interview with no real problem.

I received an offer of employment by email and when I phoned to accept and to go over a few small concerns I was told that I was the second person to accept the offer and was given an estimated start date.
    Why has this been offered to two people?
    Is there that much work that two people are required?
    Is it going to be a competition between us for the job?

Im a little more than concerned, I don't fare well against people who "talk the talk" (but can't walk the walk) and creep upto the bosses. I'm the sort of person who just goes to work, does a good job and cuts out all the BS.

The last place I worked, there was me doing my job, working hard and there was this other guy who was never at his desk because he was off giving pirated DVDs to the managers and generally kissing *rse all day.
    I ended up worse off than him, despite doing most of his job.

is it a job share ?
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Its not a job share, the salary reflects full time employment.
    Don't put even more silly ideas into my head lol!
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • -BA-
    -BA- Posts: 377 Forumite
    Options
    Every one of the questions you asked, you should have asked when you were on the phone to them.

Ring them back and say, "I was hoping you could just clarify something for me. When I called earlier, you mentioned that I was the second person to reply to the job offer. Am I to understand that there is more that one post available or has there been some confusion as to who the successful candidate is?"
  • Reds-on-Sea
    Options
    Maybe the first person offered the job turned it down, or got something else, and you were the 2nd person offered the job.
  • Strider590
    Options
    It wasn't until after the call that I sat and thought about it, I suppose id have to just be very direct and ask if this was a two person trial. But then I don't want to come across in a negative way or as being paranoid.

I just have to think carefully about whether a potentially temporary job is going to put me in the crap as im almost now entitled to help with my mortgage repayments. If it wasn't for the way the benifits "system" works I really wouldn't be worried, but losing my home is not an option.
    Maybe the first person offered the job turned it down, or got something else, and you were the 2nd person offered the job.

"2nd to accept" but the email looked pretty final, that the job was mine if I said yes.

• -BA-
    Options
    It wasn't until after the call that I sat and thought about it, I suppose id have to just be very direct and ask if this was a two person trial. But then I don't want to come across in a negative way or as being paranoid.

I just have to think carefully about whether a potentially temporary job is going to put me in the crap as im almost now entitled to help with my mortgage repayments. If it wasn't for the way the benifits "system" works I really wouldn't be worried, but losing my home is not an option.

"2nd to accept" but the email looked pretty final, that the job was mine if I said yes.

Have you called them back yet?
  • Strider590
    Options
    -BA- wrote: »
    Have you called them back yet?

As mentioned yes.
    That's when I was told that I was one of two :confused:

• 98jdougl
    98jdougl Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    Options
    As mentioned yes.
    That's when I was told that I was one of two :confused:

I think BA meant have you called back (again) to clarify the position rather than the first call when u got this info
  • -BA-
    Options
    98jdougl wrote: »
    I think BA meant have you called back (again) to clarify the position rather than the first call when u got this info

Correct :) ....but OP seems to have missed window now until Monday. So a weekend of worrying ahead. Don't dilly dally next time ;)
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Next time; call them straight back and ask; rather than go onto an online forum and ask people who won't know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure