🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Dealing with being overqualified

Options
bartelbe
bartelbe Posts: 553 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 10 September 2009 at 8:01PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Well after being unemployed for a period so long that it is too depressing to think about; I've given up on ever finding a job relevant to my degree. Which has led to an another problem, how to deal with being over qualified for a position. For example I've applied for admin post today which requires 2 GCSE's, I have higher level qualifications. Assuming that the potential employer doesn't throw the application in the bin, and I get to an interview. How can I explain why I am taking this position, and that will be their for the long term. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Comments

• whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A number of companies I have worked for have taken graduates on on the basis that you will gain some experience in the first area and then move on within the company.

Research the company, know it well and explain how you will fit into the existing role. They may well be used to a high staff turnover in that role - why specify 2 GCSEs otherwise; most want more than that for an admin role surely?

I think you're likely to get an interview (if they haven't already got someone in mind).

It may help to have an evening course to do alongside as that could indicate that you would be there for a year or so as you learn x, y and z.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have certainly applied for part time jobs (to fit around a business set-up) in the past. I have a degree and I've been told that I am 'overqualified'. However, I've had good reasons for wanting a particular job and sometimes I've got it.

I think OP does have to be careful that they don't come across as being too good to do it to their colleagues (by continually mentioning their degree), but I do think if OP really thought they were too good then they wouldn't apply for it.

If you have a life plan (even if it's not a rigid one), then exactly how you achieve your goals - including the actual work you do - becomes less important as long as you can retain your self respect.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • ploder
    ploder Posts: 56 Forumite
    edited 10 September 2009 at 9:49PM
    Options
    I think your problem is more that you think your too good for the job rather than they do.
    Hold on a sec. Where does the OP say he/she thinks they are 'too good' because they have a degree? Being 'overqualified' in this context is a factual situation ie having far more qualifications than the post requires.

Tailoring your CV for the role is always a good move though.
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Options
    yeah the, 'i want to get my foot in your door' technique worked for me. :)
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• nzmegs
    nzmegs Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    Options
    I think you are a little dismissive of having a degree. Whether the degree is practical and useful directly for work is one thing - but the other skills you learn while getting tha degree can be incredibly useful and not a waste of 4 years.
    Learning how to apply yourself and stick to something for 4 years is a good place to start, putting in extra effort around exam time, being organised, learning to read with comphrehension and to write coherently are all skills learnt in academia which are incredibly useful in the real world of work. Aside from all that just learning to interect with people and to compete with people who may be better than you are again great everyday skills.
    I can't say I have specifically used my degree in any of my jobs but it has always been a good starting point for conversation in interviews and can reveal something about the type of person you are. never hide the fact you have a degree or upper level education. I work in admin by the way (by choice as I am a writer the rest of the time) and I have never had problems getting that level of job.
  • ferien_uk
    Options
    In modern times having a degree and highers doesnt make you particularly well qualified and there are many graduates doing admin jobs. Not because they are slumming it but because they wasted 3/4 years of their life learning nothing that is relevant.

My degree didn't lead directly to a job, but I definitely don't think I wasted 3 years of m life. It was a very valuable experience in many ways. Living away from home gave me the confidence to travel to other countries.

I have used scenarios from my time at university in several examples in job applications and interviews.

I also feel that I gained a lot of skills rather than knowledge.

I know some people might feel they have wasted their time, but I like to think about things in a more positive way. I wouldn't trade those 3 years of my life for anything.
  • ferien_uk
    Options
    Just realised the person above me as said pretty much the same thing as me!

I started writing mine before I saw that. Glad to see there is someone who feels the same way as me though!
  • hellokitty08
    Options
    Welcome to the real world, joining the many of degree qualified people who get normal jobs!

I blame the schools, if someone had told me there was an alternative to getting A-levels and doing a degree then I would have, rather then having it drummed in to me that the only way to get a job was to go to University! Ha! If I had left school at 16 I could have been earning a really good salary now after ten years at work, rather then having loads of debt and an ok salary.

But still at least I have a job, so I do consider myself very lucky. I suppose it was easier for me to get a job when i finished uni 5 years ago, but then I was happy to do anything.
    Debt free since July 2013! Woo hoo! The bank actually laughed when I said I have come in to cancel my overdraft.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,105 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't think the OP sees himself as being too good for the job.

My worry is that someone would see that i have a degree yet i am applying for jobs that defiantly don't require one (e.g shops etc) and think well why can't she get a job at degree level? whats wrong with her? not that its particularly relevant, as my biggest challenge in going back to work will be the fact my ex employers screwed me over and i was off sick (and am long term ill).
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bull

The employer has set the minimum level.

In modern times having a degree and highers doesnt make you particularly well qualified and there are many graduates doing admin jobs. Not because they are slumming it but because they wasted 3/4 years of their life learning nothing that is relevant.

Sorry, what do you know about what the OP has learned or not learned.

This is simply not appropriate to talk like this, so im reporting your post to abuse.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business