Christmas Sales Work With The Big Stores - Knock Backs!

Options
Is anybody feeling angry and frustrated with the way in which a lot of the big department stores are responding to job applications for Christmas sales work? If so, I can share great empathy with you here!

I have often applied for seasonal sales jobs, and knowing how much they need staff for this busy time of year, used to think that I would stand a pretty good chance of being taken on. However, with each depressing knock back, I was soon disabused of this notion!

I HATE the way these large retail chains go on about how much they need temp Xmas staff - yet when you apply to them, you either get totally ignored, or receive just a brief "Acknowledgement" email, saying you are being "considered". But a few weeks later, much to your anger, you get a "Sorry, but no thanks," letter. They don't even give you feedback when you ring to ask them why they turned you down.

To think, Xmas retail work used to be very easy to get, but not anymore. Even so, you would think these big stores would treat job applicants a little better, rather than to build their hopes up - only to send them smashing into tiny smithereens!

Oh yes, and finally - WHY oh WHY have they started putting Xmas stuff on their shelves in early September???? Isn't it a bit early for this yet? Blimey, talking about wishing your life away!!

Comments

• Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I noticed last year instead of September/October to Early Jan shops were taking on people for December only..
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • Reverbe
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Truegho wrote: »

To think, Xmas retail work used to be very easy to get, but not anymore. Even so, you would think these big stores would treat job applicants a little better, rather than to build their hopes up - only to send them smashing into tiny smithereens!
    sadly not just stores. I find this happens almost continually with agencies. It's Friday.You are waiting to start Monday. It gets late and you do not yet know where you are going.. so you call them... Oh the jobs been cancelled..

You are not seriously telling me that companies change their minds so fast. I would have thought that in this day and age companies had a jolly good think before engaging agencies to look for temps etc...

I have had my heart broken and that is barely an exaggeration - so many times. They just dont care. They do not see that to some ppl a job means everything and how low they can feel when their hopes are shattered.
  • Truegho
    Truegho Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Really? Things ARE bad then!

Reverbe wrote: »
    I noticed last year instead of September/October to Early Jan shops were taking on people for December only..
  • Reverbe
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Really? Things ARE bad then!
    Yeah I noticed this with regard to M&S. I have Xmas temped for them before and the roles went from late Sept early Oct to early Jan - about 7th or so..also similar for Woolies- tho I only started for them in Nov due to not being paid for a well paid temp job..

Last year when I got one at M&S they wanted me to start in mid November and work until only XMas or so.
  • st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have a friend who works for Asda and they have told me that they are asking all the colleagues to put in extra hours rather than employ temp workers.

Stan
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh yes, and finally - WHY oh WHY have they started putting Xmas stuff on their shelves in early September???? Isn't it a bit early for this yet? Blimey, talking about wishing your life away!!

Costco has had Christmas stuff in since end of June.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Truegho
    Truegho Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Christmas stuff in June??? That is RIDICULOUS! If I were the manager of that store, I would bark: "Get that damned Xmas stuff off those shelves, right NOW! It is way too early to be selling Xmas goods!"

ohreally wrote: »
    Costco has had Christmas stuff in since end of June.
  • sackcloth
    Options
    LOL!! I used to tease my old team (redundant in March) about christmas so much!! We used to have a countdown in the office until the tinsel came out. And I don't even like Christmas...!!

Some of the big stores are recruiting now on their websites but I know that there are lots of people applying. Have a go anyway...

Jingle bells....
    Sackcloth
    Passing it on 24/7... while wearing stylish and confidence building heels!

Weeks until Christmas - 7, yes, I'm already counting...
  • *Chattie*
    Options
    A couple of threads with Christmas vacancies

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1907187

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1936775

For a lot of the companies you can download application forms or apply online.

http://corporate.marksandspencer.com/mscareers/opportunities
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family