Anyone else seen their pay rates slashed since the recession?

Options
I am a qualifed Solicitor (since 2001) and I worked for Local Authorities and Housing Associations as a locum (temp) worker.

I steadily worked my way up the pay scales (I trade as a limited company) and get work through agencies.

However, I have not worked for nearly twelve months and the positions that are being phoned through to me now are at the rates when I was a newly qualified! Less than half the hourly rate I was earning twelve months ago.

Yet a Surveyor I know who works through agencies has not had his pay rates slashed..... so why the legal profession?

There are a few jobs as Solicitors that I have come across on the employment websites are paying £1,500 per month BEFORE TAX!

I am coming across other jobs (in other areas of work) that are paying more but I seem to be pigeon-holed as a Solicitor so can't even get a foot in the door! These positions don't need you to have a degree either.

I am sure other professions have been hit but I feel like I wasted so many years of my life studying for a very difficult degree and qualifying which cost ALOT OF MONEY!! Student loans and a graduate loan which luckily I paid off a few years ago but now my savings are dwindling and this is SO disheartening! It took me three years for my degree, one year LPC (very expensive full-time course!) and then two years training contract on rubbish money and I had to run a car and pay my living expenses and loans!

I can't afford to pay for my Practising Certificate in October this year which costs around £1,000 !

Seems to me that alot of employers are taking advantage of this recession to slash payrates yet they are still making profits before slashing rates.

I am sure I am not the only person feeling totally disheartened with my chosen profession?
Thank you to all posters - you are fabulous!!! :beer:

Comments

• jazzyman01
    Options
    You are right, employers are now being very careful in what they spend. It is a buyers market out there and prices are coming down because of the need to get work.

I have friends in the same position. You have to stay positive. It will turnaround again. In the meantime, charge less, get the experience to go with your qualifications. Look at what else you can do to make you more marketable - and which will continue to add value in the future. It will come good!
  • Rockporkchop
    Options
    Why do you trade as a limited company, if you don't mind me asking? If you got a position at a law firm at least you would have a guaranteed wage coming in, and payment of your expenses including practising certificate, CPD training etc. I don't know whereabouts you practise but certainly in London some firms are still recruiting, employment lawyers are particularly in demand at the moment.
  • happymand
    Options
    My agencies asked me to set up as a limited company and an accountant confirmed that this way would be more advantageous financially (at that time). Being a locum was paid far better than a permanent position even taking into consideration the cost of the practising certificate etc.

I am in the North West and I am aware that employment lawyers and child care lawyers are in demand but I have no experience in either and even if I was to obtain some training or go on courses then as a locum you are expected to be able to hit the ground running so it would be hard to get my foot in the door in these areas.
    Thank you to all posters - you are fabulous!!! :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport