🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Question about uniform

Options
The company (high street store) I am working for at the moment supplies a short sleeved t-shirt and a long sleeved jumper branded with the company name for staff. At the moment I have a short sleeved t-shirt. Today at work I was getting a bit chilly and asked if I could have a long sleeved branded jumper. I was told no, that as it was summer I had to wear a short sleeved t-shirt and at some point in the autumn we would all swap to the long sleeved jumpers.

I complained that I was cold and I felt that the company had a duty of care to ensure I was comfortable (dunno if this is correct???). I was still told no, so I asked to see the uniform policy. I read it and there was no mention of a summer/winter uniform the policy just stated that they company will provide short/long sleeved tops that must be worn at all times on the shop floor. I pointed this out and was told that the manager had been told we must all wear t-shirts and that was to be the end of the matter.

In the end I did insist that the heating was turned up and in the end I was comfortable (although all those poor customers coming in from outside in their coats must have been a bit warm)

Is this correct can the company insist that I wear a short sleeved t-shirt even if I am cold? (points of employment law would be great in case I ever need to use them!)

Thanks
2009 wins: Cadburys Chocolate Pack x 6, Sally Hansen Hand cream, Ipod nano! mothers day meal at Toby Carvery! :j :j :j :j

Comments

• dieselhead
    Options
    This is not a new job but it is a new uniform!

No I think it is a valid point by turning up the heating our customers dressed for the out doors were uncomfortable, there would have been no need to increase the heating, which would have saved the company some pennies, if I could have had a jumper.

The question was can a company force me to wear a uniform which means I am uncomfortable?
    2009 wins: Cadburys Chocolate Pack x 6, Sally Hansen Hand cream, Ipod nano! mothers day meal at Toby Carvery! :j :j :j :j
  • amandada
    amandada Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you're prone to feeling the cold, can you not wear a vest top or something under your t-shirt?
  • MrC_Beds
    Options
    I think tbh you should stop worrying about such a trivial matter.

You were cold. The heating got turned up. Before Winter you receive a jumper.

Were exactly is the problem here? maybe instead of spending paid work time crying about trivial matters you should be working. It sounds like this may be a new job in which case they can tell you not to come back for no reason at all and if you insist on creating a fuss they may well do that. Shop assistants are easily replaced.

Why do people come on to this forum just to talk down to other people?!

Turning it around, the retailer in question should find better things to do than impose ridiculous "sleeve length" policies.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 September 2009 at 4:25PM
    Options
    The workplace health safety and welfare regs state the temp should be reasonable and thermometers must be provided - temp for sedentry work is a min of 16°.

Are they maintaining these temps?

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si1992/Uksi_19923004_en_2.htm#mdiv7
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • GrammarGirl
    Options
    I would be absolutely freezing in a t-shirt at this time of year. Could you wear a long-sleeved tee underneath your t-shirt? A plain white one or similar?

When I worked at Blockbuster I used to get freezing in the blue short sleeved shirts we wore. They never had any fleeces in stock (and to be honest, my fashionable self couldn't bear to wear one anyway) so I bought a navy blue zip up hoody and wore that over my shirt. Never had a problem. Sometimes I wore a scarf too - it was freezing in that shop! :)
  • Mrsalice1
    Options
    MrC_Beds wrote: »
    Why do people come on to this forum just to talk down to other people?!

Turning it around, the retailer in question should find better things to do than impose ridiculous "sleeve length" policies.

Good reply! I was thinking what a nasty reply as I read it. Sometimes, from an outsiders point of view, things do seem trivial. But when your there in that situation it really isn't.

I've got that Raynauds and when my arms get cold and tingly my fingers go white and I can't move them. I was working in the stockroom one day before xmas last year and was really cold. For the last ten minutes of my shift I couldn't lift a thing, my fingers wouldn't move and felt like they were going to drop off. It's agony, and then when they warm up they swell and throb.

So I know sometimes being a bit chilly can be a bad thing and lead to unproductiveness. I only started to get bad circulation like this last year, before that I never bothered with the cold. And still don't really. I just look stupid standing with shortsleeves, wristbands and gloves!
  • jazzyman01
    Options
    If you suffer fro Raynauds you need to make your employer aware. They should then, under health and safety, ensure that they adjust the workplace (which is likely to include your jumper as it is a required uniform) to ensure you do not suffer.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    jazzyman01 wrote: »
    If you suffer fro Raynauds you need to make your employer aware. They should then, under health and safety, ensure that they adjust the workplace (which is likely to include your jumper as it is a required uniform) to ensure you do not suffer.

Two separate posters....
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills