PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

White wine shelf life?

We just found what should have been a lovely sauvignon blanc at the back of a wine cupboard, which when opened was well past its best. We also found some chablis bottled in 98? Worth trying or likely to me in a dish where both white wine and vingar are called for?:o

Comments

• I didn't think wine went off at all :confused:
    I'd wait for someone else to answer though.
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The wine boxes we buy say that the contents will last 3 months after unsealing. Trouble is we seem to finish it in a week!
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    MoradoJess wrote: »
    I didn't think wine went off at all :confused:
    I'd wait for someone else to answer though.
    Things do have optimum laying down times, as I understand it, some being better after time, some not. I just...don't know what they are whith white wines :o
  • It depends on the wine, ie the grape variety, though I have no idea what the ideal times are! Have you googled laying down white wine? Might be worth a try.
    :D**Thanks to everyone on here for hints, tips and advice!**:D
    MSEers are often quicker than google

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they don't want to hear" - G. Orwell
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Wine will go off if the cork is allowed to dry out and air or microbes can get in. That's why most wine is screw cap nowadays, or sometimes those plastic corks as they are more reliable than 'proper' cork. But if wine is off you will know about it, so a taste test is the way forward!! :beer:
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks! Tasting may have to be the way to go!

Carolinosaurus, I'm googling now, but MSEers are often quicker than google...:) I'm still looking on google though :)
  • MSEers are often quicker than google...:)

I think this should be the new MSE byline! I admit, it's really helpful having such a wealth of knowledge in one place, if you ask a question there's generally someone around who can answer it :)
    :D**Thanks to everyone on here for hints, tips and advice!**:D
    MSEers are often quicker than google

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they don't want to hear" - G. Orwell
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Red keeps much longer than white and all should be kept cool, say below 15 deg C.

A colleague once has a wine evening offering his collection brought back from France in previous years - none of the whites were really drinkable any more.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    Wine will go off if the cork is allowed to dry out and air or microbes can get in. That's why most wine is screw cap nowadays, or sometimes those plastic corks as they are more reliable than 'proper' cork. But if wine is off you will know about it, so a taste test is the way forward!! :beer:

Which is why you should always store wine on its side (and the screw tops and plastic corks haven't really taken off in mainstream wine production yet, although the new world, NZ in particular, is using them a lot - which I guess is good for the spanish cork oak forests, even if not for the wine!)

Have a look at these vintage charts for ideas as to when things should be drunk by!
  • laurel7172
    laurel7172 Posts: 2,071 Forumite
    The nose test. If it's off, and it does go off, don't even ruin your casserole with it. It makes quite effective loo cleaner, though.
    import this
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport