Applying for JSA - job options

Options
Hi all, I am thinking of applying for contribution based JSA. I am a qualified legal secretary but haven't worked as a legal secretary for about 6 years so very out of the loop. I have done admin/office jobs though.

Anyway, my question is, I would like a change of direction and want to chase my dream job as a Librarian. I've looked at training courses for this but they are all work-based training. So I need to find a job in a Library. SO, when I have my first jobseeker interview, will they be sympathetic to the fact that I want this career change and allow me to solely apply for library based jobs or will they expect me to apply for every office job going as this is where I have the experience?

Thanks!

Comments

• busy_mom_2
    busy_mom_2 Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jools02 wrote: »
    Hi all, I am thinking of applying for contribution based JSA. I am a qualified legal secretary but haven't worked as a legal secretary for about 6 years so very out of the loop. I have done admin/office jobs though.

Anyway, my question is, I would like a change of direction and want to chase my dream job as a Librarian. I've looked at training courses for this but they are all work-based training. So I need to find a job in a Library. SO, when I have my first jobseeker interview, will they be sympathetic to the fact that I want this career change and allow me to solely apply for library based jobs or will they expect me to apply for every office job going as this is where I have the experience?

Thanks!

in all honesty depends on the adviser, if I were taking your claim I would expect you look at all suitable work. usually you are only allowed to restrict your jobgoals if you have recently been made redundant.
    As you haven't worked for son long you wont qualify for contributions so do you have a partner or any other income?
  • oldmotherreilly
    Options
    If they use the 'permitted period'(when a new claims advisor says that you can limit yourself to looking only for your normal occupation and/or usual salary for up to thirteen weeks) rules properly, then you would not be able to say that you would only look for work in a new field as it can only be applied to your 'usual' occupation. You could always put down legal secretary and librarian?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure