Freecycle - how to

Options
Didn't want to barge into the freecycle post above. Have joined my local group and listed an item. Emailed my first response 2/9 (day after listing). No reply to date even though I sent my mobile number.

Am I too impatient or should they have responded by now?
Thank you.
Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Phone numbers are a no no in Freecycle. You offer, people respond, you choose and inform them of collection address. Keep all requests until item is collected ,just in case.
  • Money_maker
    Options
    Hi, no I didn't put my number in the advert, just emailed it to the person I chose. Its a live plant so I wondered how long to leave it before offering it to someone else. I don't want to upset anybody!
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 4 September 2009 at 5:37PM
    Options
    If they havn't e-mailed or phoned...re-offer.I keep all requests for a while in the event of non collection. Some people have to rely on others for transport so can be a bit of a bother with the timing, non the less confirming the transaction should be easy enough.
    And remember not all Freecycle users are that internet savvy, or can only get to a computer at the library or work.So your item is not really available to the people who probably need it the most.

Take it to a charity shop is my advice.
  • rigsby1967
    Options
    I have started putting alot on my local freecycle and if i offer it to someone but they haven't responded by the following day (leaving at least 18 hours) then i offer it to someone else.
    Someone was suppose to turn up to me last night but didin't bother, then got in touch with me later that evening appologising and saying they had been running late and would turn up today instead.......bit to late as i decided to offer it to someone else, if she had told me before the time she was suppose to turn up then i would have saved it for her but i didin't hear anything untill 2 hours after she was suppose to be here.
    As Ken68 says, keep all requests untill the item has gone.

rigs
    Mortgage Jan 2007, 60000 :(. Jan 2011, 46,132.86. Feb 2011 45,699.72. July 2011 44,722.48. July 2012 42,400.34. Sept 2012 41,673.83. Jan 2013 40,652.53
    Dec 2014 34,834.18 :-)
  • flippin36
    flippin36 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, 2 days is too long for me. I leave it 24 hours then offer it to someone else. The things I offer, I usually want out of the way, and is why I like Freecycle so much. If I have requested something I would make a point of checking my email regularly so I can reply quickly (before it gets offered to someone else :D)

If someone doesn't pick an item up I would automatically offer to the next person, I wouldn't wait around for them to come back a second time. I've learned to be fair but tough when using freecycle otherwise people take advantage of your time.

There are many lovely people using Freecycle, but there are a minority with a lack of manners. Good luck Freecycling ;)
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,909 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I usually wait 2-3 days before re-offering. I think 24 hours is too quick - I do 24 hour shifts at work when checking emails isn't possible, so I'm one of the people who aren't able to sit with the computer on all day checking all the time.
    I don't know if you've also seen the fair offer policy thing ?- when you put something on freecycle waiting for 24 hours before choosing who it goes to.
    Otherwise you find that people at work tend to miss out to those who are glued to their computer screens.
    Having said all that, it's not unusual for people to say they want something then not show up to actually fetch it. I've got a banned list of people not to offer to for that reason. Those and the ones that take the p. by asking for something then requesting delivery!
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • flippin36
    flippin36 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    edited 23 September 2009 at 9:38PM
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    I usually wait 2-3 days before re-offering. I think 24 hours is too quick - I do 24 hour shifts at work when checking emails isn't possible, so I'm one of the people who aren't able to sit with the computer on all day checking all the time.
    I don't know if you've also seen the fair offer policy thing ?- when you put something on freecycle waiting for 24 hours before choosing who it goes to.
    Otherwise you find that people at work tend to miss out to those who are glued to their computer screens.
    Having said all that, it's not unusual for people to say they want something then not show up to actually fetch it. I've got a banned list of people not to offer to for that reason. Those and the ones that take the p. by asking for something then requesting delivery!

I get your point - but I think it should be up to an individual who may be in no hurry or want rid quick. For instance I had a single bed in my hallway as we had a new one delivered and really needed it out of the way. I'm not going to wait around for several days whilst people finish their shifts etc. (It would be quicker to take it to the tip which is what we are against) If you took that a stage further you could say, leave it a week because its not fair for people who might be on holiday for the week.
    :confused:

I sometimes work away for a whole weekend so would never request something around that time as I wouldn't be able to pick up quickly or communicate efficiently through email. Its not fair on the person offering something (freely) nor others that might want the item and can collect. It's life.

Having said that I will try to be mindful that not everyone has quick access to the internet if I'm in no hurry to get rid of an item :)
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,909 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Each to their own and all that - whatever suits people best.

I just personally find it really frustrating not getting a look in when I log on after work and find out that things have been taken within half an hour of being posted.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure