Are combi boilers as efficient as I'm told?

Options
reggieroo_2
reggieroo_2 Posts: 9 Forumite
edited 1 September 2009 at 10:15AM in In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving
I'm looking to fit a new LPG boiler, I was thinking of hooking my back boiler up to a new regular boiler but that may not happen now.

So do I fit a new combi or regular boiler like I already have?

I have a three bed bungalow with nine radiators, one bathroom with an electric shower & also a toilet/cloakroom. Two of us at the moment with a baby on the way in 6 weeks.

Which one will be the most economical?
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE Forum Team

Comments

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    a condensing combi boiler is the way to go.
    new ones are up to 95% efficient.

old regular boilers were usually 60/70% efficient.
    Get some gorm.
  • waveyjane
    waveyjane Posts: 248 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    We fitted a combi boiler to replace our old regular one a few years ago. We've got a three-bedroom terrace, a baby, and my wife likes huge baths while I only take showers.

I'd say that not only has the combi been 100% better than the regular boiler (infinite piping hot water whenever you want), but that's it's probably cheaper because you're only boiling the water you need, not churning away on a tank that you may or may not use that day.

Also, you'd probably be able to ditch the electric shower unless you live in a very low water pressure area - the combi powers our shower very nicely. Not to mention you get more storage space by thowing out your tank (and in our case our head tank as well).

HOWEVER....

YOU MUST buy one that is rated at least 12 litres per min. Ours is 15 l/m. The reason is that if it's less than that and you're having a shower or doing the dishes, and somebody (say) flushes a toilet or brushes their teeth, you're going to get a slug of cold for a bit if the boiler can't take the strain. You will also not be able to fill a bath in any reasonable time with anything that's rated less than about 10 l/m.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    the slow bath filling is the only downside we have got here.
    Get some gorm.
  • Canucklehead
    Options
    reggieroo wrote: »
    I'm looking to fit a new LPG boiler, I was thinking of hooking my back boiler up to a new regular boiler but that my not happen now.

So do I fit a new combi or regular boiler like I already have?

I have a three bed bungalow with nine radiators, one bathroom with an electric shower & also a toilet/cloakroom. Two of us at the moment with a baby on the way in 6 weeks.

Which one will be the most economical?

Good morning: take a look at the HHIC website . A RGI, after conducting a site survey and discussing your heating and DHW requirements would be best placed to advise (and you have had many answers here ;))

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • cyclingyorkie
    Options
    had a combi boiler for 12 years. Have 3 kids - now all teenagers - have NEVER regretted decision!
    :jFlylady and proud of it:j
  • reggieroo_2
    Options
    Its looks like it may well be a combi, discussed it with the misse's & thats whats she wants although I'm still keeping my options open.

Just getting qoutes round these parts is a bit of a nightmare, people come out, spend there time here & then don't bother sending it.....:confused:
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE Forum Team
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure